United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Air Force Academy - USAFA

Old 30th January 2012

Default Why do you want to go the Air Force Academy?

I just completed my application to the USAFA. Over this summer and fall I have been dead set on going to the Academy. But, just a few weeks ago I was offered an Air Force ROTC scholarship to Penn State University which covers full tuition. This alternative has thrown me off a bit although I still really want the Academy experience. These are my reasons for wanting to go to the Academy: I love this country and I want to serve it in the best way I possibly can, I feel the academy will make me the best person and leader I can be. AFA cadets will share my values of hard work, teamwork and integrity. I love challenges and I want to see how far I can push myself. The academy will give me a great education for mechanical engineering (my planned major). But, I was wondering what reasons other current applicants and cadets had for going to the academy. I was also wondering what doubts you have and what your overall outlook on the cadet experience is.
Old 30th January 2012

Because I'm enlisted and I'd like to get paid more while doing cooler shit. It's not all that philosophical.
Old 30th January 2012
USAFA Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.olson View Post
I love this country and I want to serve it in the best way I possibly can...I feel the academy will make me the best person and leader I can be... I love challenges and I want to see how far I can push myself. .
Those are good reasons, IMO.

...and airman, I like your blunt response!
Old 30th January 2012
USAFA C4C '17

Quote:
I just completed my application to the USAFA. Over this summer and fall I have been dead set on going to the Academy. But, just a few weeks ago I was offered an Air Force ROTC scholarship to Penn State University which covers full tuition. This alternative has thrown me off a bit although I still really want the Academy experience. These are my reasons for wanting to go to the Academy: I love this country and I want to serve it in the best way I possibly can, I feel the academy will make me the best person and leader I can be. AFA cadets will share my values of hard work, teamwork and integrity. I love challenges and I want to see how far I can push myself. The academy will give me a great education for mechanical engineering (my planned major). But, I was wondering what reasons other current applicants and cadets had for going to the academy. I was also wondering what doubts you have and what your overall outlook on the cadet experience is.
Serving my country as a fighter pilot and a commanding officer in the Air Force. I don't just want to see how far I can push myself, but I want to see how far I can push others. What doubts do I have about the academy? I sometimes wonder if I'll get enough sleep to function. I hear you learn how to sleep while standing at attention as a basic, so I guess it's something everyone learns.
Old 30th January 2012

only another applicant but...

This was all before my USNA appointment but:

I know SA would be the toughest route but also believe it will best prepare me to serve.

That is probably the top reason I see USNA over Michigan NROTC
Old 30th January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFry94 View Post
Serving my country as a fighter pilot and a commanding officer in the Air Force. I don't just want to see how far I can push myself, but I want to see how far I can push others. What doubts do I have about the academy? I sometimes wonder if I'll get enough sleep to function. I hear you learn how to sleep while standing at attention as a basic, so I guess it's something everyone learns.

Being a Commander is a good 16 years down the road. After graduation.

You don't need to sleep at attention. Enlisted basic training is two weeks longer than the Academy's and it was a cake walk. Yeah you're tired but who cares. BMT is the easiest part of every Airmen's military career.
Old 30th January 2012

thanks for all of your responses! LFry94, i am worried about the sleep too, i don't function well on little sleep... but i guess that's just going to have to change. I am also a bit worried because I the first person in my family to join the military since WWII. So, I don't have much experience with the military expectations and attitude. It's just very hard to fully understand what it will be like to experience an Academy until I have actually done it.
Old 30th January 2012
USAFA C4C '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger View Post
Being a Commander is a good 16 years down the road. After graduation.

You don't need to sleep at attention. Enlisted basic training is two weeks longer than the Academy's and it was a cake walk. Yeah you're tired but who cares. BMT is the easiest part of every Airmen's military career.
I don't know about you, but I think USAFA offers excellent training to be a commander in the Air Force.

The part about sleeping at attention was humor.

Quote:
thanks for all of your responses! LFry94, i am worried about the sleep too, i don't function well on little sleep... but i guess that's just going to have to change. I am also a bit worried because I the first person in my family to join the military since WWII. So, I don't have much experience with the military expectations and attitude. It's just very hard to fully understand what it will be like to experience an Academy until I have actually done it.
I think the best way to sum it up would be that expectations are high.
Old 30th January 2012
USAFA Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFry94 View Post
I don't know about you, but I think USAFA offers excellent training to be a commander in the Air Force.
Ah, says the civilian high school student!

I'd say experience and hard work are much more valuable to being a good commander - not exclusive to USAFA!
Prov14:15

USAFA Class of 2010
Laughlin AFB
Old 30th January 2012
USAFA C4C '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
Ah, says the civilian high school student!

I'd say experience and hard work are much more valuable to being a good commander - not exclusive to USAFA!
No doubts there! I'm sure you know, being USAFA alumnus. I feel I need to correct myself though, because I now realize I said commander instead of officer, and there appears to be a big difference that I don't know about.

While I do dream of being in the Air Force for many years and climbing the ranks, I am not foolish enough to think that USAFA will prepare me for everything that will be thrown at me after graduation. I believe that USAFA offers the best programs to equip myself with the knowledge, training, and leadership ability to best serve in the Air Force.

That is my reason for wanting to go to the Air Force Academy.