United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Air Force Academy - USAFA

Old 9th April 2012

Default Is no news bad news?

Quick question: For those of us who haven't heard back yet--are our chances necessarily getting slimmer the longer we wait? Or could it be that our applications are undergoing further consideration, since we technically haven't been denied yet...? *knock on wood* (fingers crossed)
Old 9th April 2012

I think it is good news...you are still be considered for either admission, prep school, or wait list.
Old 9th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Opolodude View Post
Quick question: For those of us who haven't heard back yet--are our chances necessarily getting slimmer the longer we wait? Or could it be that our applications are undergoing further consideration, since we technically haven't been denied yet...? *knock on wood* (fingers crossed)
No news is just that - no news. I know it must be incredibly frustrating, but if you have been following the stalkers thread, you will know that there really are not many slots to be had in the April/May cycle, so the pace of things really slow down. At this point you really need to be pursuing Plan B and have comfort in the fact that USAFA is still considering your appointment. Good Luck!
Old 9th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider View Post
Just to update everyone still waiting... USAFA Admissions sent "non-select" letters on Friday. Over 1200 were sent. Some candidates got them Saturday (those that where close by)... the rest will know over the next 1 to 3 days.

Also, the "QNV" is a thing of the past. The letters sent Friday are simply "non-select".

This will be a hard time for those receiving the letters. Please know that this was difficult for USAFA too. The mandated size of the incoming class is forcing USAFA to pass on some truly fine candidates this year, probably more so than any year in USAFA's history.

God speed, everyone.
Check the mail for a "non-select" letter in the next few days. You may still be in the running if you don't get one.
Old 9th April 2012

Non select.... What does that mean....why didn't they just send out NO months ago and not leave the 1200 kids still thinking they had a chance... Just not right... Sad for the kids who are getting them...DS still thought he had a chance.
Old 9th April 2012
USAFA C4C '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagabiti View Post
Non select.... What does that mean....why didn't they just send out NO months ago and not leave the 1200 kids still thinking they had a chance... Just not right... Sad for the kids who are getting them...DS still thought he had a chance.
I would venture to guess that "non-select" literally means "not selected." I'm sorry for your DS. I'm expecting to get one today myself.
Old 9th April 2012

Quote:
Most of the decisions were made over the past few weeks, and almost everyone was still in the running during that process. The only candidates who got earlier "no" letters were those that were disqualified (primarily for medical reasons but some also because of previous issues with drug use or civil involvements).

It would have been unfair and wrong to send letters earlier.
Old 9th April 2012

Insider is correct...

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83
Old 9th April 2012

Thank you for the update insider.

I do however disagree with your statement that it would have been wrong and unfair for some reason to send them out sooner. Why they couldn't have just posted the issue date of this 1200 mailing is beyond me.

I can't believe that most of the 1200 souls who are about to receive a TWE couldn't have been told a month ago. The only problem I have with the process is the duration of it. They could have sent out at least 800, to pick a number, of these a month ago and let folks move on instead of keeping these kids hanging with a false hope and thats all it ever was, was a false hope.
Old 9th April 2012
NWP '12

Quote:
They didn't send them out months ago because we we're all very competitive and all of the slots need to be filled with the right candidates. There simply isn't enough slots for all of us, so USAFA admissions needed to take their time to choose the right future-officers.

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Tags
2016, application, appointment, consideration, deadline, news, usafa