United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Military Academy - USMA

Old 4th July 2012

Default The weakening of Beast Barracks

Well for one, it's not allowed to be called Beast Barracks anymore. Someone might be offended or get the impression that it's hard.

Other changes from "my day" (which was not all that long ago) include...

1. Cadre may not yell outside
2. No table duties for new cadets
3. Cadre may issue only limited physical corrections
4. Water tents and shade tents in the Area and at the cadet in the red sash

Can't imagine what they've done with the rest of Beast. Oops, I mean CBT...

Ten more years of this and we'll almost be USAFA...

Last edited by scoutpilot; 4th July 2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 4th July 2012

I am a grad but not a "The Corps Has" type. However, it is CLEAR that it is no longer Beast Barracks. My son and his roommates (Class of 2015) all said that the were very surprised that "Beast" was not very hard. They said that the Upperclassmen were very limited in what they could do and that the physical training was very easy because they adjusted the difficulty to the weaker people in the unit. The drop-out rate during CBT is very low compared to past years because the New Cadets are not under the great pressure as is years past. I do not know why or when this changed - is this progress?
Old 4th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I am a grad but not a "The Corps Has" type. However, it is CLEAR that it is no longer Beast Barracks. My son and his roommates (Class of 2015) all said that the were very surprised that "Beast" was not very hard. They said that the Upperclassmen were very limited in what they could do and that the physical training was very easy because they adjusted the difficulty to the weaker people in the unit. The drop-out rate during CBT is very low compared to past years because the New Cadets are not under the great pressure as is years past. I do not know why or when this changed - is this progress?
Progress from the same minds that gave us the progress of the black beret, the ACU, the ASU, BOSS, a gutted NCO corps, moral waivers, etc. and so forth ad nauseum.

I hate to say it, because I think you're stand-up guy and from what I've heard were a good officer, but this...garbage, this...bull***t is coming from the generation of "leaders" (those are sarcastic quotation marks) who were commissioned and raised in the 80's and 90's. Your peers.
Old 4th July 2012
USMA Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutpilot View Post
Well for one, it's not allowed to be called Beast Barracks anymore. Someone might be offended or get the impression that it's hard.
We weren't allowed to call it Beast Barracks back when I was cadre in 1987. Of course everyone "did" but that's not a new change to me. As for the rest, I personally think USAFA's Beast is by far the toughest (at least physically) of the academies these days. Ah well, we can all agree "The Corps Has" as have all the generations before us!
Old 4th July 2012

scoutpilot
Unfortunately I am a little more senior than you think. I was still on active duty in the 80s and 90s but I never had anything to do with the easing of standards. In my Cadet days we braced all year and , sat-up at all meals and ate "square" meals. There were no summer schools or mid-year graduations. You either passed all the standards or were seperated.
As an old grad my only complaint (other than the Navy white shirts) is that there is too much effort to retain marginal Cadets. I certainly agree with extra help and second chances but I think we have gone too far.
Old 4th July 2012

I wonder if these changes were made because of the death of the New Cadet last summer.
Old 4th July 2012
USAFA grad

I am happy to report that USAFA BCT is holding the line against raging fires, eating with all meal decorum and many cadre corrections, and doing vast amounts of flight physical corrections as well as daily pt (at 7,258' above sea level). Business as usual up on the hill
Old 4th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciemi View Post
We weren't allowed to call it Beast Barracks back when I was cadre in 1987. Of course everyone "did" but that's not a new change to me. As for the rest, I personally think USAFA's Beast is by far the toughest (at least physically) of the academies these days. Ah well, we can all agree "The Corps Has" as have all the generations before us!
Yes, I'm sure the 3-mile march to Jack's Valley is just grueling. My brother is a zoomie (Class of '10) and was disappointed at what he found to be a very weak BCT experience. Maybe they've raised their game a little on the physical front. That'd be good, since it'll be the last physical challenge most of them undertake in their USAF careers

As for my original post, some of it was tongue-in-cheek, though it may not have read that way. The Beast part is probably cultural. My New Cadet handbook in 2000 very clearly said "Beast Barracks" on the front. So things ebb and flow on that front with the leadership.
Old 4th July 2012

One thought -the easing of Beast is probably just an evolutional society thing. Our society has grown soft - everyone has to be labled a winner - standards are adjusted down so the weaker people do not feel bad- political correctness - the last place team members get trophies so they won't feel bad etc etc. Just a reflection of our society.

The standards in the Corps have also lowered. Look at pictures and note trousers that are too long, hats back on head and to one side, some Cadet out of step at parades (normally the short ones in the rear of the formation), etc. Small things but indicative of good order and dicipline.

Also - we have been at war since 9/11. Based on multiple combat assignments the retention rates for junior officers are low. There was probably a push to graduate as many people as possible to fill the LT ranks.

I hope we have leadership at West Point that will not completely revert to the "old" system but get back to enforcing high standards and not hesitate to seperate Cadets who do not meet those standards.

A final thought - I love West Point and am a loyal grad- it is in my DNA- and I think West Point remains the best school in America and manages to graduate hundreds of exceptionally fine men and women every year. We just need to tighten the standards and enforce those standards. I believe the vast majority of grads and current Cadets would agree.

Last edited by BigNick; 4th July 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 4th July 2012
USCGA 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
West Point remains the best school in America
I disagree.... but I'm biased.