United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Air Force Academy - USAFA

Old 1st May 2008

Question how should homeschoolers prepare for the USAFA

Hey I'm a new member and I was just wondering if any of you more experienced members would be able to give me advice. I'm home schooled, and i was just wondering what you feel the chances of me making it to the USAFA were. I'm an A student and interested in computer science and mathematical science. I had been enrolled in a private school from 6th grade until 8th grade, but my mom didnt want me to go to public school in highschool so she's homeschooling me. When I was at the private school I was very involved with all the programs they had, but now that i'm homeschooling, unless its with my church, i'm not involved in anything. My dad works 2 jobs, and my mom has a part time job and homeschools us, so they can't take me to any extra-curricular activities. I'm hoping to be able to take Driver's Ed. so that I can get a school permit and drive myself, but first I need to get a job to pay for it. In the mean time, does anyone have any advice on how i could solve my extra-curricular problem. Thanks.
Old 1st May 2008
Banned

http://www.academyadmissions.com/adm...homeschool.php

Guidelines for Home-Schooled Students

Home-schooled students are as competitive for appointment as any other student – academic, athletic and leadership potential are evaluated the same as with any other applicant.

While not absolutely necessary, we highly recommend that home-school students attend college or junior college for a year before entering the Academy. Taking a full academic load, as determined by the college and participating in the classroom environment will enhance your chances of adapting quickly and easily to the highly structured life of a cadet, should you receive an appointment.

NOTE: Because the home-school curriculum is often tailored to the particular student, we recommend you contact the Admissions Office to discuss your specific situation.

Academics

Home-schooled students compete against the same standards as students coming from a traditional school setting.

NOTE: In the absence of graded coursework completed at a public or private high school, we place greater weight on the standardized ACT and SAT scores.

Curriculum

To be competitive for an Academy appointment, we recommend the home-school curriculum include the following courses:
  • English: 4 years
  • College-Prep Math: 4 years
  • Social Studies: 3 years
  • Modern Foreign Language*: 2 years
  • Computer Science: 1 year

*A modern foreign language is basically any language except Latin. The most beneficial languages are those taught at the Academy: Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, German, French and Russian.

In addition, some background in Laboratory Sciences and proficiency in typing will be beneficial.

Be sure to let us know if your school is recognized by your local school board or the State Board of Education. Home-schooled students must provide a transcript that includes, at a minimum, the following academic information:
  • Course/class title
  • Length of course and date completed
  • Grade
  • Grading Scale
  • G.P.A.
  • Curriculum/course description
  • Text/materials used

Athletics

This is the portion of the application process we use to predict leadership potential.

Although many home-schooled students are able to qualify academically for admission, their overall record is often not strong enough to compete due to a significant weakness in the area of extracurricular activities.

Some states and local school districts allow home-schooled students to participate with public school children in interscholastic activities. If this is not the case where you live, then you must be creative. Following are some suggestions that may be helpful:
  • Swimming, Tennis, Gymnastics: Join a local club and participate in competition.
  • Baseball: Play in a summer league affiliated with Babe Ruth, Little League, American Legion, etc.
  • Track/Cross-Country: Run 5K and 10K races
  • Basketball: YMCA, Boys/Girls Clubs

Remember, athletic participation is an important part of our evaluation of your overall potential to succeed at the Academy. Take a look at these statistics:

About 95% of accepted candidates have participated in high school sports
About 85% have earned varsity letters.

Without some athletic participation in an organized and sanctioned league sport, your chances of getting an appointment are greatly reduced.

Extracurricular Activities

Participation in nonathletic extracurricular activities is also an important part of our evaluation of your overall potential to succeed at the Academy: Little or no participation in this area will greatly reduce your chances of being accepted.

We're primarily looking for demonstrated leadership in a few activities (club officer, Eagle/Gold/Billy Mitchell award, etc.) rather than simple participation in many activities. Here are some ideas:
  • Participate in leadership of church youth group
  • Join and excel in a scouting organization
  • Give speeches to local service clubs (Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis, etc.)
  • Give musical recital in church
  • Work/Community service
  • You can also check with your local school system to see if they allow home-schooled students to participate in their after-school activities.
Old 1st May 2008

Smile

Hey, thanks a lot! That web site really helped me out.
Old 1st May 2008
USAFA Alumnus

If you go to http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...orado-springs/ and contact Falcons '11, he was homeschooled and is currently a freshman here at USAFA. He could probably give you some good advice!
Prov14:15

USAFA Class of 2010
Laughlin AFB
Old 6th May 2008

See if there is a Civil Air Patrol unit near you. It's a lot like a Jrotc program mixed with Boy Scouts; homeschool kids are welcome.

http://cap.findlocation.com/
Old 7th May 2008

Jonathan,
We homeschooled our son who is now a 2011 cadet at USAFA and doing quite well. Btw, he also received appointments to USMA and USNA. If you would like to send me a private message with specific questions, I would be happy to try to answer them.
Darla

Tags
homeschool, homeschoolers, usafa