United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Other Sources of Commission > ROTC

Old 16th October 2012

Default National guard and ROTC

I am a person who likes to be prepared for the worst or best case scenario. The trend in the past years is seemingly that Army ROTC scholarships are getting much harder to get. This having to do with factors involving the economy and downsizing of the military. I have a few questions pertaining to the National Guard as an option. If you are in the National Guard as an out of state student in college is tuition waived to in state tuition typically? What period of time in the National Guard while participating in Army ROTC at a college are you deployable status? In certain states based off my research they pay for 100 percent tuition is that only for part of college or all 4 years? My last question is looking far out in the future after college. If you’re doing SMP is switching to active duty once you are commissioned extremely difficult? Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 16th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAROTCZ33 View Post
I am a person who likes to be prepared for the worst or best case scenario. The trend in the past years is seemingly that Army ROTC scholarships are getting much harder to get. This having to do with factors involving the economy and downsizing of the military. I have a few questions pertaining to the National Guard as an option. If you are in the National Guard as an out of state student in college is tuition waived to in state tuition typically? What period of time in the National Guard while participating in Army ROTC at a college are you deployable status? In certain states based off my research they pay for 100 percent tuition is that only for part of college or all 4 years? My last question is looking far out in the future after college. If you’re doing SMP is switching to active duty once you are commissioned extremely difficult? Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know about the 100% free tuition for in state schools because I don't believe my state has that. However if you sign a national guard contract or take any national guard money for school you WILL be going NG.

While getting a GFRD money can be easier they aren't naive and wont let you take the money then run off to AD. I've seen alot of people try this loophole
Old 16th October 2012

Quote:
Aglahad is 100% correct in regard to the National Guard.

If you do just straight SMP and do not take the GRFD Scholarship you are eligible to compete for Active Duty.
Old 17th October 2012

Thank you both that helps. Just to clarify if I have any interest in active duty eventually national guard would not be a good starting point then? Also if I decide to leave my homestate and join the National Guard in Louisiana or Kentucky which are where both my top schools are located. Would I be given the in state tuition rate?
Old 17th October 2012

Quote:
Thank you both that helps. Just to clarify if I have any interest in active duty eventually national guard would not be a good starting point then? Also if I decide to leave my homestate and join the National Guard in Louisiana or Kentucky which are where both my top schools are located. Would I be given the in state tuition rate?
I don't think that's what they said. If I understand how things work you can do SMP, get some assistance, and still go active duty. If you take the GFRD assistance you ARE locked into the National Guard. I'm sure someone will clarify if I'm wrong.

In any case a little more homework on your part just to increase your understanding of these programs might be in order. Try these:

http://www.nationalguard.com/benefit...ership-program

http://www.nationalguard.com/life/ed...ation-programs

http://www.nationalguard.com/benefit...d-scholarships
Old 17th October 2012

Thank you i'll be sure to check those websites out.
Old 17th October 2012

ZA...you seem to be a little confused. First off the national guard is state specific, so each state will probably have a different relationship with the schools in their state, so the only way you will know if you will be treated as in state, or you will get full tuition needs to be answered by the specific school you are looking at.
Until you are MOS qualified you are not deployable. As soon as you are contracted, no earlier than sophomore year, you are not deployable. If you are in college and on track to contract in ROTC there should be no way you would be deployed. I have a Memorandum somewhere that states college students in the Guard/Reserve who are enrolled in ROTC aren't deployable. Not sure if it is still in effect, but I would whip it out in a heartbeat if one of my cadets came down on orders to deploy.
I'm not understanding your question about 100% tuition and 4 years. If you are on scholarship it's full tuition. If you are just using TA you are probably getting the average cost of a state school. Finally, it isn't an issue of switching to active duty if you are SMP. If you are non scholarship when you access you can choose to request active duty, and your SMP status has no impact on whether you get AD or not. The only thing that has effect regarding your chances of getting AD is your OML score.
Hope that helps.
Old 17th October 2012

That is very helpful. In my state I was told when I met with an army reserve recruiter that if I join the army reserves I am deployable until I contract with an ROTC program. I don't know how much that would vary with the National Guard. I have no problem deploying it would just be frustrating if it interrupted my college courses. Once you are MOS qualified I believe you get full tuition payed for at flagship universities in my state. I have heard this is common in a few other states programs as well. I'm sure most states are not paying full tuition. I have gotten into contact with the path to honor for the National Guard hopefully they can give me some nit gritty details. Thank you everyone for all your help.
Old 17th October 2012
Army ROTC

Just as a little tip. If you start talking to a NG recruiter, make sure you start conversing with a ROTC ROO at a local university. It doesn't have to be the one you want to go to, but an NG recruiters ultimate goal is to get you to enlist. Whether you end up SMP or not is not their problem. A ROO is looking to get you into ROTC and can give you information that you may not get from a regular NG recruiter. However, the guard does also have enlisted recruiters that are there to recruit officers. If you can get in contact with one of them, they can also help you.
Old 18th October 2012

^^^What he said

Also remember you can join any State NG, not just your home state.
A NG unit near your university may be your best choice, many university ROTC programs are set up with the local NG unit for dealing with SMP students, in a semi-official co-op program - so weekend FTX's can count as a weekend NG drill.

This avoids conflicts between your two units training schedules and reduces required travel...which if your unit is far from your college can be problematic.

So I strongly suggest you go through your University AROTC ROO to decide on which NG Unit.

Tags
national guard, rotc army, smp