United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Air Force Academy - USAFA

Old 19th April 2013

Default Renouncing Foreign Citizenship

I just received my U.S. passport in the mail and am going to go renounce my Korean citizenship early next week (Korean Consulate is closed on weekends). I have no clue how long the process takes, but I know I need to have renounced... I have completed all the paperwork and just have to go to the Korean Consulate in downtown. My question is, when do I have to have it completely renounced by? (paperwork all processed and everything)

By the way, I had to wait renouncing because paperwork requires me to have a U.S. Passport in possession, and I just got mine
Old 19th April 2013
USAFA Appointee 2017

I spoke with my USAFA Counselor about my Dual-Citizenship with Canada. She told me to just bring in both of my passports and the situation will be sorted out while at the Academy. As far as I know, you only need to have the citizenship renounced prior to commisioning.

Also, the Appointee booklet states, "If you now hold or if you ever held multiple/foreign citizenship, bring your current or expired foreign passport."
Old 19th April 2013

Thank you for your reply! I was freaking out because I thought I read somewhere that I needed to have it renounced before I-day. I'm going to call the Korean Consulate tomorrow because on their website it states that "upon receiving a foreign citizenship, your Korean Citizenship will be automatically renounced." There's just some paperwork to clear myself from this Korean Family registration.
Old 19th April 2013
USAFA Appointee 2017

My pleasure. See you in June!