United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Air Force Academy - USAFA

Old 14th October 2008

Smile Letters Of Assurance

I know a lot of people are wondering about admissions boards and all that
But i know for sure LOA's have begun to go out.
i got one!
yeah, im pretty pumped
it was dated October 6th, and i recieved it the ninth
any one else hear from them?
and good luck.
Old 14th October 2008

Congrats to you. Now all you have to do is to get the nomination. FWIW; having an LOA makes getting the nomination a lot easier. Congressmen/senators like knowing that those they nominate will get accepted. They hate nominating and the person doesn't get selected. Plus, with you having an LOA; that means you don't have to worry about being in the top 2 slots of your reps magic list of 10. You just have to be on the list "SOME PLACE". So that also make the congessman/senator happy because they can place you at #3-#10 and they can get you plus someone in the #1 or #2 selected. Basically, you become an extra pick for their district/state. Congrats again. It's a tough process, but it's well worth it. My son is a 2012 cadet and half way through his 1st semester. He told me that he has no regrets for accepting the air force academy and turning down numerous scholarships to other schools. It can be a PITA at times, but still well worth it. Keep your grades up; stay out of trouble; impress your nomination interviews; and enjoy your senior year of high school. later.... mike.....
Old 14th October 2008
USAFA Cadet

You suck.

Nah, I'm just bitter I didn't get one.
Old 14th October 2008
USAFA Cadet

XD I know I won't be receiving one so I'm waiting till march
Old 15th October 2008

LUCKY!
Old 15th October 2008

Default yeah

im just trying to figure out how i can prepare myself for the BCT
im starting to work out, and im still in decent shape from working out for the CFA, but i definetly want to be at my peak for BCT
i cant wait
8 months
Old 15th October 2008
USAFA Cadet

Slow down buddy... you still need that nomination.

Me being bitter again for not getting a LOA.
Old 15th October 2008
USAFA Alumnus

Almost impossbile not to get a nom with an LOA since the appointment of someone with an LOA wouldn't go against that MOCs nomination limit. :)

Air Force Waiver Guide --> Save as it is a big file. This explains every waiver, the stats, and who can get one for aircrew and missile career fields. This is NOT DoDMERB but it will tell you if a DoDMERB waiverable condition is duty limiting/restricting on active duty. Many aircrew standards are higher than DoDMERB.
Old 15th October 2008
Candidate

congrats bud on the loa, i don't have to tell you what kind of an honor that is

i also have to say that having an loa is pretty cool all until you get to the academy where nobody wants to know- don't get me wrong i'm not hating on your success or anything, you deserve that loa, but remember that most kids coming into 13' aren't going to have gotten one and you don't want to make a name of yourself with your exception. on my west point recruiting trip the guys told lots of stories of kids who made names for themselves by taking things a little too far. it's all about keeping things in perspective. i know what it's like to receive an loa, its an amazing feeling and the feeling isn't going to go away anytime soon. but where as you have a spot at the academy right now, there are going to be plenty of kids who are going to go through months of sweat blood and tears to hear much later, and it may never even happen. but once they do get in, loa or not, it doesn't matter anymore, your airforce 2013. be proud of that
also i think its worth noting earlier posts to add that ppl without loas are really frustrated when they check their mailbox everyday in dissapointment. but if they really are deserving candidates then they're going to be the same ones throwing their hats in the air with you on graduation day, and loas will certainly not matter anymore

but like i said before, good luck with everything, you deserve it

Last edited by Harrison Morgan; 15th October 2008 at 04:51 AM.
Old 15th October 2008

i didn't mean anything with you involving luck, futbol dude. you have worked hard and earned this honor. congratulations, dude.