United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Air Force Academy - USAFA

Old 20th October 2008

Amen stealth. It doesn't matter if you were a 4.0 gpa in high school and ranked in the top 10 in your class. So was a LOT OF OTHERS at the academy. Doesn't matter if you got your appointment in November early or in March. Everyone at the academy has their appointment. Doesn't matter if you were a big time athlete in High School. So was 90% of those at the academy. You name the activity or accomplishment that you might have done; and there's probably 100 others minimum at the academy that did the same thing. Like stealth said, once at the academy it is what you accomplish THERE that will make you who you are and how others view you. Consider the academy a form of reincarnation or being born again. It's your new life. The old life is gone. Make the best out of the gift that's been given you. later... mike.....
Old 20th October 2008
USAFA Alumnus

Precisely! I've seen many people that had LOAs or were valedictorians fail out of this place and some people that were expected to be far lower in the classes here pull out near the top. This is a whole new ball game!
Prov14:15

USAFA Class of 2010
Laughlin AFB
Old 21st October 2008

just a quick question:
as of last friday my application has been totally finished. How long after your application was submitted did you get ur LOA? just wondering...
Old 21st October 2008
USAFA Alumnus

I did not get an LOA, I got my appointment in Mid-March of 2006.

USAFA Class of 2010
Laughlin AFB
Old 21st October 2008
USAFA Cadet

Application said it was complete on October 3.

LOA dated October 16.
Old 21st October 2008

so figure about two weeks then if i am qualified enough?
Old 21st October 2008
USAFA Alumnus

2 weeks to 8 months, give or take.

USAFA Class of 2010
Laughlin AFB
Old 21st October 2008
USAFA Cadet

hehehe
Old 21st October 2008

remember only @100-150 LOAs. You really need to be at the top of the top. Sometimes LOAs are given to candidates that are applying to multiple SA's and they want the candidate not to jump ship and accept an appt from another SA.

Just don't put all of the weight of the world on getting one. Not getting one doesn't mean you won't get an appt. You also might get the appt b4 Xmas if everyone on your slate has submiited and scored, but than again it might not happen until June (there are stories of kids getting the call the day b4 I-day)
Old 21st October 2008

Quote:
Sometimes LOAs are given to candidates that are applying to multiple SA's and they want the candidate not to jump ship and accept an appt from another SA.
I don't think so. I don't think the academies share this information. Some candidates receive LOA's to every academy - this is indicative of the quality of the candidate and not the fact that the academies are competing against each other.

IMO - you all should forget about getting an LOA - as the nomination process draws closer it won't matter. Put all your effort now into receiving a nomination. Remember - if you are a qualifed candidate and the top of the nomination slate then you get an appointment!