United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Coast Guard Academy - USCGA

Old 28th April 2009

there's still morning cals, but not just on the parade field; last year they were done parade field, lower field, and 5th deck, it was a rotation, that focused on different exercises. and a lot of my classmates have been discussing the no personal IT, just as a group...
Old 28th April 2009
USCGA 2006

You're going to want that personal IT option. It was done with a PC or higher present. In the end, it comes from the administration, not cadet leadership.

IT stands for "Incentive Training" and is not unique to CGA, it is also done at TRACEN Cape May (boot camp). There are rules for it's use, but it is not done for "exercise".
Old 28th April 2009
Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academy123 View Post
1) Don't write Cadet or Swab on mail. They don't have to be called Swab, but if the cadre get the mail, they might be a little teased for getting called Cadet, although it's not a big deal. (And they'll get called Swab enough w/o everyone back home calling them it, too.)
2) Send their roommate's mail, too. My roommate over Swab Summer was always sad I'd have a giant stack of cards, and she never had but maybe 1.
3) Definitely bring a watch, but don't get anything expensive, b/c the cadre sometimes take them away for a few weeks and they get mixed up.
4) Send things with peanut butter (the extra protein really helps).
5) Come with pre-labeled and pre-stamped envelopes. (It's the only way to get mail back haha).
6) BRING LOTS OF CLIP, BOBBY PINS, AND HAIR TIES, they get lost fast.
7) Come knowing you're going to be part of a team. Your company's friendship is what will make Swab Summer worthwhile.
8) Remember that the cadre, despite the red agulets, are just 2 years older.
9) Take fruit from the wardroom, it's allowed, and it's better than the stuff your family will send.
10) Remember that it's only 7 weeks. You'll get through it, and the academic year is soooo different.
11) Do 30 minutes of ab work outs, and pushups/squats everyday before you come, you'll be happy you did.
12) Definitely fire-shine your shoes, it does the same job 10 times faster.
13) The cadre aren't allowed to hit you, so don't be too intimidated, just be respectful.
14) Remember: you can hold the rifle up for another minute, it won't last much longer after. And when you're getting IT'ed, if it was a regular after-school practice in high school, you could do the exercise fine, don't let the environment get to you.
15) No matter how many bleachers you run up and down (that's what I got advised before I R-ed in) it's still going to stink going up to 4th deck from lower field.
16) Yes, when you hear, half-right faced, you're going to get IT'ed it's inevitable.
17) Don't get worked up about what's coming, think about the moment, and think about the shipmate who needs you to motivate them.
18) Don't fret about every little thing, it's okay if the nike logo is a different color, it's okay if your underwear aren't designed for old woman (but make sure they're white). Little things like this are not a big deal, I remember thinking if I didn't have everything word-for-word from the list I'd get reamed out, don't worry too much, follow the rules, but they're much more focused on your appearance.
19) KNOW THE MISSION BEFORE YOU COME!! Because you'll have to know it by the end of the day. Speaking of which, when they give you Running Light, start studying right away, because you'll have to know that whole thing front to back by the end.
20) Live from sports time to sports time. It's when you get to have fun, and get to know your cadre as humans.
21) Don't ever, ever, ever, ever lie. Be honest about everything, from how many pushups you really did, to falling asleep during training. It's much better to embrace the honor concept than face the results of being dishonest, because they will find out, and you will be punished.
22) Respect your shipmates, and rather than be mad b/c you don't think they're pulling their weight, help them learn to do better.
23) I know you'll be hungry a lot, and working out a lot, but don't over-do the wardroom food. No matter how many pushups you've done, you don't need a 4th piece of cake.
23) Swab Summer is the only way to get into the Academy, it's less than 50 days of your whole life, you'll be in the Coast Guard for at least 3,285.
Thanks for the advice. Nice to hear from someone who has "been there, done that".

Nice to know kids not only survive, but thrive. Reassures us worried parents.
Old 28th April 2009

IT is Incentive Training (I'm pretty sure that's what it's short for) cadre use it as a punishment, or rather an incentive to do things right, when you're not performing up to standard.

and amongst our class, that's what we've heard, that next year they can't personally IT swabs...but BR2011, you're cadre next year, so have you heard something different?
Old 28th April 2009

[QUOTE=LineInTheSand;54671]You're going to want that personal IT option. It was done with a PC or higher present. In the end, it comes from the administration, not cadet leadership.QUOTE]

uhm...IT is performed by the cadre, they can decide when to use it, I think that PEP is decided by the command though...

At any rate, it's not enjoyable, but it is inevitable so just take it as a way challenge yourself! you can get through it, no one's ever died doing rowers... =]
Old 28th April 2009
USCGA 2006

How IT will be administered for the summer is decided by the command (officers). How IT is then used during the summer is with the cadre. There are limitations, set by the CGA command (not cadets), on when, where, how long, in the the presence of.... may be done. The cadre then fall in line with those requirements. This keeps it safer and holds Swab Summer detail more accountable.

Yes, IT stands for "Incentive Training", and IT training again is not unique to CGA, as you will find out when Cape May company commanders train you on how to do it (IT gets especially old after your classmates have done it to you 3 times in a row.)
Old 30th October 2009

For the Academy, on the website it said women could swiss braid their hair. Is that the Hiedi braid, with the 2 braid/buns on the sides of the head?
Old 30th October 2009
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadpies View Post
For the Academy, on the website it said women could swiss braid their hair. Is that the Hiedi braid, with the 2 braid/buns on the sides of the head?
Singular frend braid down center back of head, tail tucked under with elastic that matches hair color.
Use lots of gel. You'll get very FAST at braiding!
Old 30th October 2009
USCGA 2014

About the braid...for swab summer, I wouldn't recommend it unless you can braid it in about thirty seconds and have it looking neat and orderly. The bun is definitely the easier way to go and cutting it, although I didn't, is even easier. The braid would be good for the academic year though but I personally do not think there is much time for it during Swab Summer. But I agree with USNA1982, gel is a wonderful, useful tool!
"Why would the world need more anger, more outrage? How does it save the world to reject unabashed joy when it is joy that saves us? The brave who focus on all things good and all things beautiful, and all things true, even in the small...they are the change agents who bring fullest light to all the world."
-Ann Vaskamp (One Thousand Gifts)

COAST GUARD ACADEMY CLASS OF 2014
Old 3rd November 2009
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackandfield08 View Post
About the braid...for swab summer, I wouldn't recommend it unless you can braid it in about thirty seconds and have it looking neat and orderly. The bun is definitely the easier way to go and cutting it, although I didn't, is even easier. The braid would be good for the academic year though but I personally do not think there is much time for it during Swab Summer. But I agree with USNA1982, gel is a wonderful, useful tool!
oh yah.. JC cant wait to get back to the CGA to wear that bun!! at NMMI it has to be french braided... but she wore her CG uniform yesterday and got to have a bun.. she was in heaven! LOL