Discussion in 'ROTC' started by NCmom23, Jul 9, 2013.

  1. NCmom23

    NCmom23 Member

    Aug 23, 2012
    Likes Received:
    Is the 104-R typically filled out once a cadet arrives on campus for freshman year? My DS is a 4yr scholarship cadet. He hasn't been sent anything from his university yet with regard to paperwork. He does have to report to school a few days before the other freshmen. I assume this is to do ROTC orientation and paperwork such as 104-R. Any insight is always appreciated!:smile:
  2. Thompson

    Thompson Member

    Dec 11, 2012
    Likes Received:
    I think that's typically how it's done. I would just recommend your DS to plan out his academic plan now, rather than later.

    For me at least, I'm up here for summer session, so I have easy access to the Bn cadre, and can do the 104-R form now.
  3. Jkaz

    Jkaz 5-Year Member

    Aug 23, 2011
    Likes Received:
    I really think it depends on the Battalion, but my 104-R experience was submitting it after the first semester when we had grades to put on it. We had rough drafts due within the first two months just so it would be easier when time came for them to be actually due.

    Side note- The 104-R, at least from my Battalion's perspective, was more important for cadets who were seeking a scholarship. Seeing as your DS has a 4yr, he will probably have to complete a tentative one before he contracts. Also, depending on the Battalion is the time of a PT Test which your DS would also need to contract. My experience, again depending on branch and Battalion, was there is one after the first month of so of school.

    Hope this helps. Also, I would imagine if you really are worried about this, email the Battalion and ask, or find one online and start filling it out now.
  4. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator 5-Year Member

    Oct 21, 2010
    Likes Received:
    Heck, you don't even need to find one online. You can basically do it on a plain sheet of paper. The main things is to plan out the classes over the 4 years to make sure you meet all the colleges and the units degree requirements and those for your major. Don't know about Army or various units but in many cases my DS doesn't need to indicate the exact course. Certainly for ancillary requirements for a lib arts degree he can just fill in "social science" and not indicate the exact course, at least for courses further out in time.
  5. gojack

    gojack .... 5-Year Member

    Jul 1, 2010
    Likes Received:
    Because of the many cadets dropping/adding classes, juggling schedules, changing majors etc., the deadline for turning in his 104-R should coincide add/drop deadline for his University. It's an every semester thing, nothing to get excited about, the cadre will walk them all through it.
  6. khergan

    khergan Member

    Aug 9, 2012
    Likes Received:
    I wouldn't worry much about it for a 4-year cadet. What he should really do is just make sure he's taking all the right classes for his degree progression. That can be verified by talking to an academic counselor. In his case, as long as he's on track for graduation in 4 years, you would just transfer those credits to the 104-r.
  7. Pima

    Pima 5-Year Member

    Nov 28, 2007
    Likes Received:
    I agree, our DS (AFROTC) met every semester with his CoC throughout ROTC, and all they wanted to make sure was he was on track to commission on time.
  8. dunninla

    dunninla 5-Year Member

    Jan 26, 2010
    Likes Received:
    I don't think you can even fill out the 104-R until after the academic counselor/advisor at your college has approved your Fall schedule.... that is, if there is an acadmic advising department... I think some very large State schools don't offer that advising.
  9. goaliedad

    goaliedad Parent 5-Year Member

    Apr 7, 2009
    Likes Received:
    As others have said, when you complete your 104-R will depend upon whether you are contracting (necessary for money to flow) and when your cadre chooses to issue the paperwork.

    That being said, there is nothing wrong with being prepared to fill it out on the spot. You can find a 104-R on line (google is your friend). It shouldn't change from year to year, but even if you have to fill it out again (copying from your downloaded form) you will be ahead of the game.

    Basically, the 104-R is an academic plan to graduate in the time that your unit has planned for your commissioning. It will be filled out every term until you graduate because the best plans often go south when your planned class fills up before you are allowed to register.

    Here is some advice I gave a couple months ago regarding this:

    My advice to all incoming freshmen:
    1) Get the course catalog for your entering year (it changes every year).
    2) Get the list of requirements (general ed, major, specialty) for your degree from that course catalog.
    3) Look up and list by requirement ALL courses that satisfy EACH requirement and list them by requirement.
    4) As you list those courses, spell out the pre-requisites (or co-requisites - taken at the same time) for the course (class standing, other courses, accepted into major, instructor approval, etc.).
    5) Identify the courses at the beginning of the longest pre-requisite chain that you are eligible to take immediately and put them in your first semester plan if at all possible. For you engineering type, there will be math, physics, and chem chains that will be lengthy.
    6) Plot these chains out in your 104r (you can find one online and download - google is your friend) starting in the earliest semester possible. Start from the longest chain and proceed to your shortest chain.
    7) Add in your MS classes across your first 8 semesters.
    8) Fill in other specifically required classes (that don't have pre-requisites - you already did these above). Look at course schedules to make sure they are offered the term you intend to take them.
    9) Fill in classes you have choices for (pick 3 from a group of 5). Take special note of classes that have an unusual number of credit hours. Try to schedule those to even out your load across the semesters if possible.
    10) If you notice that you need to consistently take more than 16 credit hours to make all the required classes fit into 8 semesters, you will want to talk to your cadre about needing more than 4 years to graduate.

    Many schools have you meet with an adviser as part of freshman orientation. You can use your 104-R as part of your discussion on what to take. Probably best not to ask for a signature at that time because your cadre will probably want to provide guidance (and let you know what courses satisfy the ROTC military history requirement - you could take a guess, but it may be wrong). However, the bulk of it should make sense to your adviser and s/he can help you correct it if you made any mistakes regarding university/school/degree requirements.

    This is an important step for cadets to do. They are taking responsibility for getting the academic job done. Being proactive only keeps the cadet ahead and out of trouble.

    One last piece of advice... If the cadet has a non-major field which they struggle with (say a lab science for a humanities major), they may want to plan their required course for the first semester of their Senior year. Why? Your senior GPA does not count towards your OML for AD selection/branching. First semester gives you a chance to try it again if things go really wrong.

Share This Page