Accepting at more than one SA

Gabe_

Member
@DEMJACK My DD is in a similar situation. She has received an Appointment from another SA, and hoping for an Appointment to USAFA. She is medically disqualified, for USAFA. She contacted USAFA on friday to check status. They stated she still needs to get med qual. for an appointment and nothing is guaranteed. USAFA also stated it is fine to accept the other Appointment and if she receives an Appointment from USAFA she could then accept that Appointment. We were quite surprised by this. With that said, I would have your DS contact USAFA directly. I am certain they will give you the best path forward. Good Luck!
Sure, if she accepts the appointment to one, and then the 2nd academy offers, she can accept that one if it is her top choice. But, then she needs to let the first one know that she is declining. It would not be proper to accept both appointments without declining one of them.

Agree
 

SomeGaveAll

Member
Sure, if she accepts the appointment to one, and then the 2nd academy offers, she can accept that one if it is her top choice. But, then she needs to let the first one know that she is declining. It would not be proper to accept both appointments without declining one of them.
I think the concern @mintyicedtea and others were voicing: if accepting one SA would generate a notification to another (say their #1 choice), which would then cause SA#1 to generate a TWE and not appoint them since they accepted an appointment to another SA.
 

Gabe_

Member
Sure, if she accepts the appointment to one, and then the 2nd academy offers, she can accept that one if it is her top choice. But, then she needs to let the first one know that she is declining. It would not be proper to accept both appointments without declining one of them.
I think the concern @mintyicedtea and others were voicing: if accepting one SA would generate a notification to another (say their #1 choice), which would then cause SA#1 to generate a TWE and not appoint them since they accepted an appointment to another SA.
The response my DD received from USAFA was "it's acceptable" to accept the appointment from SA and then get an appointment from us and accept it (and notify the other SA and decline at that time). There was no reference or inference, that this would negatively impact her chances at USAFA. I have advised my DD to wait to accept the first offer until we have a little more clarity on all options.

I hope this information helps those that are in a similar situation.

With that said, I would confirm directly with the SA.
 

fencersmother

10-Year Member
Founding Member
This happened a decade ago but I still remember it:

Fencersdaughter decided to "outdo" her elder brothers and had a nom/apptment to USMA. She decided seven days before the arrival date that she just didn't want to go. We had felt all along it was not the best fit for her but her decision. She called IMMEDIATELY and declined, then on their advice sent an immediate email and hard copy letter. We were assured another took her place, though it was indeed, the very last minute.
 

BBBRRRTT

Member
This happened a decade ago but I still remember it:

Fencersdaughter decided to "outdo" her elder brothers and had a nom/apptment to USMA. She decided seven days before the arrival date that she just didn't want to go. We had felt all along it was not the best fit for her but her decision. She called IMMEDIATELY and declined, then on their advice sent an immediate email and hard copy letter. We were assured another took her place, though it was indeed, the very last minute.
I can only guess there must have been an amazing Plan B opportunity in the works?
 

In-the-Know

5-Year Member
The LOA is meaningless now since the AFA portal allows you to accept. You have 2 offers of appointment. Don't understand though how AFA's portal allows you to accept while also stating pending waiver approval. Rationally, the approval must have already occurred in order for the portal to show offer of appointment. Might want to have the Appointee call Admissions for an explanation. @mintyicedtea post above sounds familiar.
Your appointment to USAFA is conditional on waiver approval. Yes, you have an appointment if the waiver comes through. Technically, a LOA for USAFA means you don't have a nomination and a LOA can also be conditional on a medical. The other Service Academies may wait to extend the appointment until everything clears, but USAFA simply makes it conditional. Technically, an appointment cannot be legally offered without an official nomination. However an appointment (or a LOA) can be conditional on factors such as the medical. To be even more technical, the law states that all appointments are conditional up to the point that the appointee takes the oath of office. Every year fully qualified appointees have their offer of appointment rescinded for any number of reasons (school pranks, smoking pot with their friends for the first time, grades, injuries, etc.). As other posters have said, wrap DS or DD in bubble wrap and lock them in their room until they report to USAFA.
 
Top