Advice Needed on Recruiting to Plan B School

Hi all,

I've recently been offered an official visit(paid airfare, hotel, etc) to one of my back-up schools, and I'm conflicted on whether to take it or not. I've applied(non-recruited) to the USNA and USAFA as well, which are my first two choices and where my heart truly lies. However, the trip is in February, and I know it's a slim chance, but if I was appointed before the trip, I feel like I'd be wasting the coach's time and money if I were to just delay accepting it until after the visit, but definitely would be wasting the school's money if I were to cancel after the confirmation deadline they gave me.

Everyone's been telling me to just go, but I have a feeling that it just wouldn't be right given that my mind is made up that I'd accept an appointment to an academy if I were offered one. Wanted to hear some thoughts on this before I do anything.

Thanks.
 

NavyHoops

Super Moderator
5-Year Member
So what is your Plan B? If this school is a part of your Plan B then go. You have no idea when or if an appointment will arrive. If you get one and accept prior to the visit then cancel.
 

justdoit19

Member
What if you DONT receive an appointment? How do you address that scenario? Also, as you state, appointments before February are the exception, not the norm. Alternatively, you could very well be giving up a wonderful opportunity at Plan B ‘in case’ you receive an appointment.

There is also much discussion about the fact that even with an appointment, it’s not an actual appointment until you take the oath on I-day. Meaning, you could injure, tank your grades, etc. before day one. Unfortunate things do happen.

The college is spending money to recruit you. Meaning they have money set aside to try and sway kids to their programs., knowing that they are competing for them. Many a recruit has gone on an official visit, ultimately choosing another school. We had a football player at DS’s school go on many, many visits, everyone knowing he could only say YES to one. It’s the same thing. It’s what recruiting is all about.

So I would advise my own DS to go. Unless the coach specifically tells you he doesn’t want you to come if you are considering another school. If an offer of appointment is received before the recruiting trip, then you deal with that at the time.
 

justdoit19

Member
JUST DO IT, even if only for the experience. Nobody how good a candidate you are, you need a Plan B ...so you can go with a clear conscience that you have an open mind.
VERY good point. I am AMAZED at the growth I have seen already in my son throughout this process. The confidence he has, his presence, ability to communicate well with adults. I credit all that he has undergone (interviews, inquiries with academies, speaking to school admins about letters etc...). This has been a TREMENDOUS experience for him, even if one doesn’t end up with an appointment. He has learned so much about himself.
 

time2

10-Year Member
Until you have received and ACCEPTED an SA appointment, then you are still in process of deciding where to go to college. Colleges know that every recruit is shopping for opportunities and everyone won't accept their offer. SA's are VERY competitive schools and it would be foolish to put all of your eggs in one basket. Where will you go to college if you happen to NOT get an SA appointment? Having viable Plan B options should be part of everyone's thought process.
 

usna1985

10-Year Member
You're not "wasting" the school's money. They set aside funds for official visits. They know that not every student-athlete who visits will end up choosing that school. That's why there are visits (plural) -- to help candidates decide which school is right for them. It's the way the system works.

Also, you may end up finding out you actually prefer that school to a SA. Keep an open mind. And, if you still prefer a SA, then you will feel much better about/stronger in your decision to accept if an appointment comes and maybe to reapply if one does not.
 

keeperkat90

5-Year Member
Hi all,

I've recently been offered an official visit(paid airfare, hotel, etc) to one of my back-up schools, and I'm conflicted on whether to take it or not. I've applied(non-recruited) to the USNA and USAFA as well, which are my first two choices and where my heart truly lies. However, the trip is in February, and I know it's a slim chance, but if I was appointed before the trip, I feel like I'd be wasting the coach's time and money if I were to just delay accepting it until after the visit, but definitely would be wasting the school's money if I were to cancel after the confirmation deadline they gave me.

Everyone's been telling me to just go, but I have a feeling that it just wouldn't be right given that my mind is made up that I'd accept an appointment to an academy if I were offered one. Wanted to hear some thoughts on this before I do anything.

Thanks.
Go on the trip. You my realize that you like that school better than a service academy. There is always time for ROTC or OTS programs if you don’t get into a service academy. Also give this trip a chance to look at a regular college life. We don’t get anything near to a regular college life at usafa. But on the plus side, majority of our sports teams are walk ons. Which means they came here non-recruited and made the team
Most of all, take the trip to go have fun.
C/o 2018 usafa
 
Top