AFROTC Nursing Scholarship - Type 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by newdawn4, Dec 4, 2009.

  1. newdawn4

    newdawn4 5-Year Member

    Jun 16, 2007
    Likes Received:
    I read on the AFROTC website that the Nursing scholarship is a Type 1 for college sophmores and juniors. If my D is a high school applicant wanting to be a nursing major, does she start out as a Type 2 and then reapply to get the Type 1? If someone can clarify or direct me to who can, I would greatly appreciate it!

    Thank you!!
  2. aglages

    aglages 5-Year Member

    Aug 27, 2009
    Likes Received:
    newdawn4: If you review the past couple of months worth of threads on this forum you can learn more about my opinion in regards to the Air Forces' approach to nursing scholarships....than you may ever want to know.

    That said, let me try to summarize:

    First - your daughter may be awarded a type 1,2 or 7 scholarship for nursing before she begins college (High School Scholarship Program). The HSSP Provides 3- and 4-year scholarships in three different types to high school seniors. The details are here:
    The determination of which award she receives is up to the AF and is determined by their current needs / recruiting goals. Most Type 1 and 2 scholarships are awarded to technical majors and the list is located here:
    You may notice that nursing is no longer (it once was) considered a "Technical Major". You may want to check with the PMS at the colleges your daughter plans on attending and ask them which type awards they have seen HS seniors receive that are interested in majoring in nursing. They will tell you what type scholarships the AF has recently been awarding.

    2nd - If your daughter is not awarded a HSSP she may apply for the In-College Scholarship Program (ICSP) once she begins to attend college. The details are here:

    3rd - Depending on the needs of the AF for nurses after your daughter begins college she may also be eligible to receive an Express Scholarship. These are a Type 1 and the details can be found here:

    The only scholarship that I am aware that can be "upgraded" is the type 7 awarded through the High School Scholarship Program (HSSP). According to the web site the following applies:
    "If a student receives a Type-7 offer but wishes to attend a college/university where they do not qualify under the guidelines above, the student can convert the four-Year Type-7 scholarship to a three-Year Type-2 scholarship."

    Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009

Share This Page