After the Academy

Discussion in 'Life After the Academy' started by Turn28, May 6, 2013.

  1. Turn28

    Turn28 West Point Class of 2017 5-Year Member

    Jan 31, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Hello all,

    I have been reading around here and there, yet I have yet to find a whole or consistent answer, I was wondering if anyone here had any insight or personal experience. I am just curious on the matter, really - wanting to get as much information as possible!

    How does graduate school work with West Point? Or any of the academies for that matter...

    I heard/read that instead of 5 years active and 3 years reserve, you can convert your 3 into active and they pay for you to get your Masters. Is this correct? If so... do you go school for your Masters immediately after West Point, or is there a certain time/rank one must achieve first?

    How do professional schools work? I heard/read one must be selected to go to the War College before they can begin to get their professional degree?

  2. MemberLG

    MemberLG 5-Year Member

    Jan 4, 2011
    Likes Received:
    First, if you can find time and do with your own money, no additional service obligation

    Only folks that are allowed to attend graduate school after right after graduation are scholarship winners and medical school (less than 20 per year). The school is fully paid for and you get your military pay also. Your service obligation will incurr

    I think after 2 years of active service, you can apply to become an Army Laywer, when or if selected law school, paid and additional service obligation

    Graduate School for additional 3 years of service obligation. This is the one that I am least familiar with. I believed it happens after you serving 4 or 5 years.

    Other graduate school opportunties are usually tied to your assignments usally after 6 to 8 years of service. Example, if you get selected to be an instructor at West Point, Army will send you to a graduate. The Army will even paid for PhD for certain West Point instructors. If you get an operational reserach position, the Army will send you to a grad school to get a master in Operational Reserach.

    Professional degrees usually refers to medical doctor, laywer, and etc. The War College gets you a Masters.
  3. Rotor

    Rotor New Member

    Apr 9, 2013
    Likes Received:
    The Yellow Ribbon and New GI Bill have changed things a bit. You can always look into that.
    There are also more mini-online courses than ever for the things you might want to do.
    A degree can make a transition to a civilian job a bit easier- but that's about how you sell it.

Share This Page