Army ROTC Education Extension

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by daine, Mar 21, 2015.

  1. daine

    daine Member

    Aug 22, 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hello there,

    I was awarded a 4-year scholarship to the University of Virginia. I was denied acceptance to that school, but am now deciding between the University of Florida and UCLA. My question is how education extensions are awarded by the army. If I were to attend the University of Florida I would have the possibility of joining a combined degree (4+1) program for the finance field. This means I could get my masters degree in finance 5 years. I know, however, that the Army is expecting me to commission and begin my service after 4. Is there any chance I could get an education extension from the army for this extra year? This combined degree program can really change my college decision. Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Pima

    Pima 5-Year Member

    Nov 28, 2007
    Likes Received:
    It will be interesting to see this answer for AROTC because in essence you are asking for an educational delay before you even contract. In ROTC you can get the ED, but you compete for it much later on, and the key word is compete for it. I know many cadets that get an extension, however, that is because their undergrad degree takes five years, whereas your undergrad major only takes four years.
  3. Jcc123

    Jcc123 5-Year Member

    Apr 19, 2010
    Likes Received:
    The Army will pay for one degree in this case, but not two. Even if you can get the extension, it would likely be on your dime.

Share This Page