1. North Texas U.S. Service Academies Forum - Mansfield, TX - 29 April 2017 - More Information . Click the "x" to dismiss notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Congressional Nomination Help

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by Cinnamonster, Sep 16, 2013.

  1. Cinnamonster

    Cinnamonster New Member

    Jan 2, 2013
    Likes Received:
    Good Evening All!

    I need some help determining my congressional district. Here's the deal. I applied last year but unfortunately did no make the cut. I am off at college in Florida. Before coming to college I resided in Michigan, which is still where I have a drivers license and the house is still or sale. My family moved to Nevada just before I left for college, they are registered Nevada residents. So do I apply for a nomination from Florida, Michigan, or Nevada? If I need to apply for a nomination from Michigan or Nevada, how would the interviews work? Thanks in advance for the help!
  2. 1964BGO

    1964BGO 5-Year Member

    Nov 27, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Where would you register to vote? It sounds as though Nevada may be most likely. You would have to work out the interview situation with the congressional office - possibly over Thanksgiving.
  3. MemberLG

    MemberLG 5-Year Member

    Jan 4, 2011
    Likes Received:
    My opinion, your nomination application should be in the following order

    1. Where you are register to vote
    2. If your parents are claiming you as dependent, your parents residence
    3. If your school is treating as an in state student, than FL.

    Contact the each Congressional office to get an answer.

    As for the interview, some offices don't conduct interview and some do telephone interviews.
  4. Pima

    Pima 5-Year Member

    Nov 28, 2007
    Likes Received:
    I agree contact your MOC, but if you are a dependent than more than likely your residence will be Nevada because your folks will claim Nevada as their residence for tax purposes.
  5. usna1985

    usna1985 10-Year Member

    Jun 9, 2006
    Likes Received:
    The key is whether you are "emancipated." Do you pay your own taxes or, as Pima asked, are your parents claiming you as a dependent?

    If you pay your own taxes, your state/district of legal residence is what counts. Typically, the state where you pay taxes is your state of legal residence. That should also be where you vote, register your car, etc.

    If your parents claim you as a dependent, then it's their state/district of legal residence.

    You can contact the Nominations person at Candidate Guidance. He/she should be able to help.
  6. futuremarinemom

    futuremarinemom Member

    Mar 8, 2012
    Likes Received:
    ...and I would advise you to get on this ASAP, since some MOC deadlines are quickly approaching, if not already past. If I remember correctly, the FL Senators had September deadlines last year.

Share This Page