NROTC made my son's decision a whole lot easier by requiring him to accept his scholarship a full month before UVa notifies potential Wahoos whether they've been accepted. We feel confident he'll get in, but with a 33% acceptance rate one can never be too sure. We finally got his paperwork in the mail on Friday (close to a month after his notification showed up on the portal). It states he must accept his scholarship by March 7th or it's voided. (Only 6 days after he received the paperwork) He has always leaned towards taking his AFROTC scholarship over the NROTC scholarship, but this kind of seals it. We are traditionally a Navy family, but he wants to be the rebel and go AF instead. (Kidding here...so no lectures from anyone about it's his decision and all that...I've been a mom to three successful kids for 22 years, I've got the whole parenting thing under control) I'm sure the powers that be have a really good reason for processing the NROTC scholarships like they do. But on the surface it seems it creates more chaos to require kids to accept the scholarship to a particular school before schools release their admission decisions. Then the chaos of attempting to transfer your scholarship ensues. My son has a friend that received his NROTC scholarship in December, immediately started the process of transferring it, and is still at square one in the process. So it almost feels like he is forced to take the AF scholarship. His first choice school is Embry-Riddle. When he went to visit the campus in February, the Navy detachment told him not to even bother trying to transfer his NROTC scholarship there, as there was already a waiting list of 40 kids. And before anyone lectures me about how I should be grateful he has a choice between the two and all that, I'll save you the time typing. I KNOW how blessed he is. He has worked hard since the sixth grade to get where he is. He knows how fortunate he is and so do his parents.