I have question about becoming a helicopter pilot thru Army ROTC

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by ArmyROTC89, Jan 5, 2009.

  1. ArmyROTC89

    ArmyROTC89 5-Year Member

    Jan 5, 2009
    Likes Received:
    I currently go to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and I am a aviation major and minor in helicopter flight. I received Army ROTC Scholarship. By end of my Sophomore year, I'll be able to obtain the Private and Commercial Pilot certificates and as well as the Flight Instructor certificate. Here is my question, will it be easier for me to obtain a flight slot to Army Flight School?

    According to the Embry-Riddle's website, it clearly stated, "Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University has a strong Army ROTC program in place. Nearly 90% of the students in this program requesting aviation as a branch after commissioning are accepted" (Embry-Riddle).

    I even heard that University of North Dakota guarantees flight slot if you get in to U.S Army helicopter flight program which Army pays for the flight training while studying at UND.

    One more question, do West Pointers get first dips on flight slots? or do West Pointers and ROTC Cadets get equal amount of chances?
  2. jrobs12

    jrobs12 5-Year Member

    Nov 6, 2008
    Likes Received:
    ah, apparently actually Warrent officers get to actually fly helicopters a LOT more than comissined 2LT's from ROTC or USMA, but you've got to enlist and get into Warrent officers' school, and thats crazy hard to get into.
    random info there
  3. RahVaMil2009

    RahVaMil2009 5-Year Member

    Dec 15, 2008
    Likes Received:
    I have no idea about most of your questions. I can tell you that West Point has a completely different selection process from ROTC when it comes to branching. My understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that USMA has its own Order of Merit List (OML) and all of their branches are selected prior to the national OML for ROTC, where every ROTC cadet competes against every other ROTC cadet in the nation.

    As for this:
    jrobs' random info is a huge thing to consider. You'll get paid more as an officer, but you'll get to fly a lot more as a WO. If you know the right questions to ask your recruiter, my understanding is that you can actually get it written into your contract. Granted, you'll still have to pass the flight physical, make it through basic, Warrant Officer School and flight school, but you can at least guarantee yourself the right to try!

    If you're willing to take a pay cut in order to fly more, WO is the way to go. As a WO, you'll basically be a technical expert at flying. It will be your specialty, and you'll be a subject matter expert in flying. As an officer branched Aviation, you'll be an officer first. You'll still have to go through flight school (btw, it's REALLY backed up right now... you can probably plan on not even starting flight school until several months, maybe even up to a year, after you commission), but you'll be responsible for more than just flying. After flying, you'll have hours' worth of paperwork to do, just like other officers, and once you hit a certain rank you will no longer be permitted to fly.

    As always, check this info out with a recruiter and/or your branch chief for your ROTC detachment. This is just what I've been told by friends who are in flight school or recently got their wings; rules are changing all the time, so talk to someone who knows what's up on the current stuff! :smile:

    Good luck.
  4. xbreaka

    xbreaka 5-Year Member

    Mar 21, 2008
    Likes Received:
    I know it is possible to be commissioned, and then call up your branch manager, and and you can take the pay cut and put yourself in the warrant pipeline. I don't think you have to go to WOCS either. They don't really advertise that route, but hey its your career.
  5. Just_A_Mom

    Just_A_Mom 10-Year Member

    Jul 9, 2006
    Likes Received:
    You do need a college degree to be a warrant officer. A helicopter pilot who is a warrant officer will fly his entire career. This route is especially popular with those in the Reserves or Guard.

    ArmyRotc89 - I think you are probably right in your post. With E-R and UND - ROTC students are given training while in school. They are medically cleared to be a pilot and some hurdles that cause wash-outs are already crossed while being a student.

    I don't know if branch selection for these ROTC cadets is different - that other ROTC cadets.
  6. bruno

    bruno 5-Year Member Retired Staff Member

    Feb 2, 2008
    Likes Received:
    Just to make this clear- ROTC and Warrant Officer procurement are not related to each other- an Army warrant officer is a technical specialist who (with the exception of CWOs in the maritime MOS commanding army ships), will not have command opportunities. I honestly have never heard of a commissioned officer becoming a warrant officer other than as a result of a RIF and can't really imagine why this would be entertained as an option by the Army-especially not for a Cadet who has been the recipient of ROTC scholarship money from the Army for the purpose of becoming a commissioned officer. Other than Aviators- most Warrant Officers are prior enlisted in technical or Special Forces MOS's. To be selected for Warrant Officer does not require a college degree- the USARREC link is below. A summary of the requirements for Warrant includes:

    US Citizenship
    General Technical (GT) score of 110 or higher
    High school graduate or have a GED
    Secret security clearance (Interim secret is acceptable to apply)
    Pass the standard 3-event Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) and meet height/weight standards
    Pass the appointment physical for technicians or the Class 1A flight physical for Aviators (See Army Regulation 40-501).
    With the exception of Warrant Officer MOS 153A (Aviator), all other Warrant Officer (WO) Military Occupational Specialties (MOSs) require you to be at least pay grade E5 or higher with 4-6 years experience in a skill that is closely associated with a WO MOS

  7. scoutpilot

    scoutpilot 5-Year Member

    Apr 29, 2010
    Likes Received:
    It happens all the time. All it takes is a DA 4187 and branch approval. However, the catch is that you can only do it after your ADSO as a commissioned aviator is complete. That means 6 years after you complete IERW, or about 7.5 - 8 years total.

    The vast majority of aviation warrant officers are prior service. The WOFT or "high-school-to-flight-school" program has never provided the bulk of warrant officers, and now it's declining in use. There are too many qualified soldiers applying who deserve the chance of becoming a warrant officer.

    Also, I wanted to address the misguided notion that there is a rank at which commissioned officers are "no longer permitted to fly." To put it bluntly, that is 100% false. There is no stipulation for the rank of an Army officer on flight status. MG Cody still met his semi-annual flying minimums in the AH-64D as the division commander of the 101st, as did BG Sinclair when he was the DCG-S.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  8. kevster

    kevster 5-Year Member

    Apr 21, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Scout you probably know the answer to this question. Within WP and AROTC communities how desirable is a pilot slot (forgive me if thats not the correct term)? I have several friends in the AROTC detachment at UMD and it seems like everybody is "infantry all the way."

    For this reason do you think it is "easier" to get a pilot slot in AROTC than it would be in AFROTC due to the fact that everybody seems to want infantry? I'm a Air Force guy so you will have to forgive my ignorance on this matter. :confused:

Share This Page