I just replied, but it didn't go directly under your question.
So we decided to make an appt with private Drs for next week as well as plan on booking DODMETS providers that are over a month out to address my DS's remedials. This private Drs are really just to cover if or when the SAs ask for remedials. Will still do DODMETS providers when they actually find one. Crossing fingers and putting hands together that all of it works out and that timing does mess it up for DS.I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Personally, I would accept the offer for the appt a month away. I know it's late but if your DS is truly passionate and about ROTC, it would be the best choice. If I remember correctly, my local ROTC representative told me I could accept the AFROTC Type 1 scholarship but I would need the waiver by the time the first semester begins for the scholarship money to be given. This gives a much more generous time frame than the SAs but as you said, the SAs seem to be taking their sweet time deciding on waivers so that's still up in the air.
In my case, a provider found an ophthalmologist in Columbus for me this week. So finally, after they almost hit the 30-day deadline, I got an appt scheduled in two weeks so good news for me there. If there's hope for me there's certainly hope for your DS. I wish both of you the best.