Medical records for prior service members and family members


10-Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
I had a question from someone about how they would go about getting medical records from when their parent was active duty and thought it was pertinant enough that I'll post the answer here as well.

All medical records for family members of prior service members (and the service members personnel and medical records are also located there) are sent to the National Personnel Record Center in St. Louis. The currently only accept written requests, but once you request you can call to check on the status of a request. It can take up to 6 months to get the records sent to you.

The web site is