Need some advise

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by dgusafa, Dec 3, 2018.

  1. dgusafa

    dgusafa Member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2018
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    52
    I am looking for some expert advise for my case -

    1. I have MoC nomination for USAFA. USAFA asked me to wait till March for a decision.
    2. I have a LOA from USNA but no nomination yet.
    3. I got to know today that I didn't receive nomination from one of the senators. The other senator I interviewed last weekend with the LOA. I am hopeful but not sure.

    My question is - can/should I reach out to MoC and request for a change in nomination from USAFA to USNA? Is it OK?
     
  2. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    10,599
    Likes Received:
    4,122
    It's been done in the past. Keep in mind if you have been notified then USNA nominees may already be notified, and no one is going to tell them "Oops!. It never hurts to politely ask though.

    Does the Senator you just interviewed with know of the LOA?
     
  3. dgusafa

    dgusafa Member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2018
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    52

    Yes Sir, I was asked to log in to the USNA site and show the first page with the LOA comment.
     
  4. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    10,599
    Likes Received:
    4,122
    So there is a possibility of a USNA nom still coming. I assume USAFA was your first choice. Why the change in heart? Or was USNA your first choice and the the MOC nominated you to USAFA instead.
     
    dgusafa likes this.
  5. dgusafa

    dgusafa Member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2018
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    52
    USAFA was my first choice always, Sir. But first the BGO and then the LOA really changed my heart. The day I interviewed with the MoC the very same day I received the LOA email. I now want to be at USNA.
     
  6. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    10,599
    Likes Received:
    4,122
    Well, you have some choices to make. You can call and see if you can switch the nom, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Be ready to explain why you want to change and that it's not just the LOA. Or you can wait and take your chances on a nom to the Naval Academy. Have you visited each academy? What did the BGO say that swayed you? Why hadn't you thought of that earlier. Not trying to give you a hard time but trying to ask question you might need to answer if you call to get the nom switched. If you're going to do it, do it fast. The window potentially closes further each day.
     
    dgusafa likes this.
  7. THParent

    THParent Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2017
    Messages:
    1,383
    Likes Received:
    1,957
    The U.S. Navy and U.S. Air Force have very different missions.
    If USAFA is where you want to be, then stick with it. It is not altogether uncommon to get a LOA to more than one SA.
    If USNA is where you want to be - the LOA makes your odds a lot better - but nothing is really assured without that nomination. .
    The choice is yours. Good luck.
     
    dgusafa likes this.
  8. MidCakePa

    MidCakePa Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2018
    Messages:
    876
    Likes Received:
    901
    @dgusafa, ask yourself this question? How would you feel if the nomination was switched to USNA, but then you received LOA from USAFA and now you have no nomination? Would you still be OK going to USNA rather than your previous first choice?
     
    dgusafa and Capt MJ like this.
  9. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    10,599
    Likes Received:
    4,122
    I would add to the above USNA vs USAFA is that if one gets an LOA to one academy, then one is highly competitive to get an appointment to another. Make sure you do what YOU want in your heart.
     
    dgusafa likes this.
  10. dgusafa

    dgusafa Member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2018
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    52
    Thank you all for the advise and guidance. I will wait for 2 more weeks and see if I get the final nomination before taking any decision.
     
  11. THParent

    THParent Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2017
    Messages:
    1,383
    Likes Received:
    1,957
    Waiting is indeed the advice which we would advise you to take.
     
    CrewDad, dgusafa, Skipper07 and 4 others like this.
  12. ProudDad2022

    ProudDad2022 Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2017
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    54
    I was wondering if someone was going to chime in on the difference between "advice" and "advise" :)
     
  13. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator 5-Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    10,599
    Likes Received:
    4,122
    The difference is a $50 fee.
     
    CrewDad and THParent like this.
  14. MidCakePa

    MidCakePa Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2018
    Messages:
    876
    Likes Received:
    901
    What many don’t know is that SAF also stands for Spelling Advise Forum. We do it all here!
     
    StPaulDad and kinnem like this.
  15. Skipper07

    Skipper07 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2017
    Messages:
    92
    Likes Received:
    91
    I really can’t tell if you’re pulling our legs here.
     
    kinnem likes this.
  16. MidCakePa

    MidCakePa Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2018
    Messages:
    876
    Likes Received:
    901
    Not pulling anyone’s leg, @Skipper07. Just saying I’m here to advice anyone on spelling who needs it. And scanning this forum regularly, there are many!
     
    Devil Doc, kinnem and Skipper07 like this.
  17. Skipper07

    Skipper07 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2017
    Messages:
    92
    Likes Received:
    91
    I understand, but was your ironic spelling mistake done on purpose :)

    EDIT: You got me. I didn’t notice the second one.
     
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  18. THParent

    THParent Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2017
    Messages:
    1,383
    Likes Received:
    1,957
    Okay @MidCakePa - you have me going now - because that's twice.

    "...SAF also stands for Spelling Advise Forum..."
    "...I’m here to advice anyone on spelling..."
     
  19. Capt MJ

    Capt MJ 10-Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2008
    Messages:
    4,645
    Likes Received:
    5,802
  20. jl123

    jl123 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2016
    Messages:
    702
    Likes Received:
    484
    Why wait? "L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

    Ask for an additional nomination to USNA based on the USNA LOA, rather than asking for a switch. Just be honest - tell them how thrilled you are for the USAFA nomination and that you just received an LOA to USNA. You can say your first choice is USAFA, but if that doesn't come through, you would happily take the assured spot at USNA (if qualified).

    Here is my reasoning:
    1. If they notified you of your USAFA nomination, then they probably also notified the USNA candidates of their nominations.
    2. If they have made notifications of a full slate of ten, you are out of luck. They are not going to rescind a nomination to accommodate you. Better to know this sooner rather than later.
    3. If they have made notifications and do not have a full slate of ten, better to get your request in before someone else comes along asking for one of the remaining nominations.
    4. If they have not made notifications, the sooner they know of your situation the better chance you have. But be prepared for them to ask you to switch, in which case they will probably give your USAFA nomination to a candidate they were planning on giving a USNA nomination - know what your answer is before making the request.
     
    dgusafa and kinnem like this.