opinion needed

20jk

Member
Hello, I am almost done with my USMA application but the only thing that I have left to do is take the CFA. I am training as often as I can and due to unforeseen circumstances, I am planning to take the CFA in January. I know that most applicants are already done with their CFA and some decisions come out in late January; however, taking the CFA is the last thing on my list and I just wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I should take the CFA this late in the process.
thank you!
 

DrMom

5-Year Member
I think you should do a test run of it now--so you know your best 'now' score and can work toward a better score.
You may find that you will be ready in mid- to late-December.
 

kinnem

Moderator
5-Year Member
Admirable objective but keep in mind that the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray. Injury and illness can strike leaving you no time to recover. There is a balance between best possible score and getting it done that must be achieved.
 

mjdgmom

Member
DS found watching the CFA videos ahead of time to be extremely beneficial because they illustrated proper form and acceptable resting positions.
 

IN04MOM

Member
Be sure you won't be hindered by a late CFA test. DS took his in December and we couldn't find a day without freezing temperatures and wind gusts which really killed his mile time. It would have been fine if we had an indoor track but the only one available was outside. Sometimes it is better to have one submitted and be trying to improve it than waiting until the last minute to submit the first one.
 

Impulsive

Member
+1 @IN04MOM, unless you are in a Southern State with relatively warm weather in January, may be better to take it now and get a decent score, then try and improve if you get a good "Weather Window" in Jan. Cold weather (below 50 degrees) definitely affects your outdoor run times. If you live in a warm winter State, it can be done in January as I believe your app does not need to be CPR until Jan 31.
 
Be sure you won't be hindered by a late CFA test. DS took his in December and we couldn't find a day without freezing temperatures and wind gusts which really killed his mile time. It would have been fine if we had an indoor track but the only one available was outside. Sometimes it is better to have one submitted and be trying to improve it than waiting until the last minute to submit the first one.
Good advice...get it done.
 

dddad

Member
The longer you wait the greater the chance that injury will end your chances. There is a risk that continued training ruins your ability to take the CFA. My advice is that if you can pass with average or hopefully some better than average scores you should not be trying to maximize everything. The advice is specific to this time of year. If it was August, I’d recommend you continue training because there would probably be time to recover from minor injuries. Good luck. Kinnem has it right - as usual.
 

Heatherg21

Member
Our DS had set a goal to take his over the 2 week fall break. First night of break at Taekwondo he injured his back, pulled a couple of ribs out and rolled an ankle. Plans had to change. After 2 weeks of healing instead of training he had to squeeze training into the school/work/commute week. Made it hard to get it done. He did get it done as well as the NROTC physical test and is relieved that it is over and his scores were good. Good luck to you!
 
Top