Question about ROTC scholarship transfer

jcwolford

Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2018
Messages
12
My DD was awarded 3-year scholarships to 3 of her top 4 school choices: George Mason (1st choice), Penn State - Erie (Behrend) (2nd choice), and James Madison (4th choice). Her 3rd choice was Penn State - University Park. She had Penn State- Erie higher on her list because we weren't absolutely sure if she would be accepted into University Park. We found out this morning that she was accepted to University Park! Originally George Mason was the top of her list, but she is leaning more towards Penn State. How likely is it that she would be able to transfer her scholarship to University Park seeing as it was her 3rd choice and wasn't offered a scholarship there? Is there any chance at all?
 

kinnem

Moderator
10-Year Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2010
Messages
14,658
Yes there is a chance, probably a good chance but there are never guarantees. I would try to transfer, and if I'm unsuccessful I would still have some great backup alternatives. She will not LOSE the scholarship even if transfer fails.
 

jcwolford

Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2018
Messages
12
Yes there is a chance, probably a good chance but there are never guarantees. I would try to transfer, and if I'm unsuccessful I would still have some great backup alternatives. She will not LOSE the scholarship even if transfer fails.
Thanks for the advice! Do you know when we would find out about a transfer? Would it be after the 3rd board or between now and then?
 

IrishBrewer

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2017
Messages
61
My DD got a 4-year to her top 3 but then, through the course of events, wanted to go to a school that was not even on her list of 7. She applied for admission and the transfer and it was a bit nerve wracking because although she was accepted, her transfer took quite a while to go through. In fact she had to pay her initial deposit to the school before knowing that her scholarship was going to be transferred and due to the high cost of tuition, it was not feasible for her to go there without the scholarship. As it seems to go with just about everything related to ROTC/DODMERB/etc., you have no idea when things are going to happen until after the fact. Congrats and good luck to your daughter.
 

clarksonarmy

Recruiting Operations Officer at Clarkson Army
10-Year Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
2,194
+1 Kinnem

According to @clarksonarmy the two Army ROTC programs must agree before the transfer can be signed off.

That would be if the Cadet was already on campus. For the national process the decision is made at Cadet Command. The instructions on the application website say transfers are requested after the third boards, but I recommend you make that request as soon as you are sure. Send an email to Cadet Command explaining why you want to request the transfer and send a scan of your letter of acceptance (and denials if applicable). The sooner Cadet Command can make the switch the better they know what’s left for subsequent boards. I would also recommend contacting the ROO at you desired school, and as a courtesy, the school/program you are kicking to the curb
 

jcwolford

Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2018
Messages
12
Thank you so much for the information. We are waiting to hear back from George Mason and Penn State - Erie to see if they offer anything in addition to tuition (JMU offers first year room and board as well). She also emailed the ROO at Penn State. We are so grateful that she was awarded this scholarship, and any of the schools would be great options for her! We just want to make an informed choice based on not only where she wants to attend, but also on sound financial choices as well.
 
Top