Scholarship to plan B Question

USNAbaby

Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2017
Messages
12
Having accepted my offer of appointment, do I let my plan B college know? I have a great scholarship to Plan B. So if some unfortunate injury occurs and I lose my appointment to the Academy between May 1 and June 29, what are the odds that I still receive my scholarship to plan B? I guess I'm wondering, is it best to inform plan B that I plan to attend the Academy and hope that they would honor my scholarship?
Thank you!
 

Tommyboy

Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2016
Messages
28
Having accepted my offer of appointment, do I let my plan B college know? I have a great scholarship to Plan B. So if some unfortunate injury occurs and I lose my appointment to the Academy between May 1 and June 29, what are the odds that I still receive my scholarship to plan B? I guess I'm wondering, is it best to inform plan B that I plan to attend the Academy and hope that they would honor my scholarship?
Thank you!
Once my DS accepted his appointment to USAFA we started letting all the universities that had offered him scholarships know he was going to decline their offer so that they would be able to offer that money to another deserving student. There will certainly be another student that could and would put that scholarship to good use.
 

NavyHoops

Super Moderator
10-Year Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
7,103
There are tons of threads on this board about holding on to a Plan B or not. Search function should get you to those threads. There are lots of opinions both ways. Recommend you read those and then sit down with your parents and pick the best path for you.
 

Pima

10-Year Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
13,977
Agree with Navy on both counts. This is really something the folks need to be involved with because it is a financial issue that will impact your family.

It does not end on June 29th. There have been posters here that were medical turnbacks. 1 cadet tripped getting off the bus and blew out their knee...medical turnback and on a plane home the next day. Another poster's DS was a recruited athlete, contracted Guilliam Barres disease a month in and due to the severity was sent home.
~ If memory serves me correctly, both contacted their university and told them they would be attending USAFA. They had paid their deposits to their university. At least one school told them they would not only hold their spot, but their deposit until 30 days prior to start of school. Due to the fact that they were proactive with the college they had the confidence that if something did occur the only fiscal loss they would occur after IDay was the loss of the AFROTC scholarship.
 

Badfinger

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2016
Messages
65
Having accepted my offer of appointment, do I let my plan B college know? I have a great scholarship to Plan B. So if some unfortunate injury occurs and I lose my appointment to the Academy between May 1 and June 29, what are the odds that I still receive my scholarship to plan B? I guess I'm wondering, is it best to inform plan B that I plan to attend the Academy and hope that they would honor my scholarship?
Thank you!

My DS is a freshman at UT-Austin. That was his plan B. Was offered an appointment for the class of 2021. We are continuing with his plan B right to the very end, meaning he will be registering for fall classes at UT-Austin. We have until 18 August to either pay the tuition or cancel his registration. If he is still at the academy come that date, I will cancel his registration. If not, he will start classes at UT the following week.
 

ktnatalk

Sailor. Shipmate. Parent.
5-Year Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2016
Messages
1,303
@Badfinger, we think similarly. One word of caution to appointees and parents: with the existence of plan b past I Day to fall back on, will it make it easier to quit Plebe Summer? Think about that now, put what motivates you in that secret compartment in your head and access it when the going get tough. Do not wait till the detailers are yelling at you and let your emotions take over!

Edit: BCT for AFA!
 

Hiker2021

New Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Messages
9
Having accepted my offer of appointment, do I let my plan B college know? I have a great scholarship to Plan B. So if some unfortunate injury occurs and I lose my appointment to the Academy between May 1 and June 29, what are the odds that I still receive my scholarship to plan B? I guess I'm wondering, is it best to inform plan B that I plan to attend the Academy and hope that they would honor my scholarship?
Thank you!
I was wondering about this for my DS as well. I called his backup school this afternoon and asked what they recommended. I was transferred to "someone more important" than the person who answered the phone. I explained that school B was his top choice after USAFA and that I had read the differing views on this matter - I did not want to do anything unethical. I was grateful for her response. She said that she appreciated my honesty and recommended that I go ahead and accept their offer now and decline it in Aug. She was very supportive and understanding. In fact, she even recounted a story of a student who had been accepted there last year but went to USAFA. After BCT the student knew if was not the life for them and left. They were not able to get into Plan B at that point as they had declined the offer in April. I think that a genuine conversation with Plan B can be helpful. I never did mention my name though ;)
 

USMAROTCFamily

5-Year Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2013
Messages
1,039
Having accepted my offer of appointment, do I let my plan B college know? I have a great scholarship to Plan B. So if some unfortunate injury occurs and I lose my appointment to the Academy between May 1 and June 29, what are the odds that I still receive my scholarship to plan B? I guess I'm wondering, is it best to inform plan B that I plan to attend the Academy and hope that they would honor my scholarship?
Thank you!
I was wondering about this for my DS as well. I called his backup school this afternoon and asked what they recommended. I was transferred to "someone more important" than the person who answered the phone. I explained that school B was his top choice after USAFA and that I had read the differing views on this matter - I did not want to do anything unethical. I was grateful for her response. She said that she appreciated my honesty and recommended that I go ahead and accept their offer now and decline it in Aug. She was very supportive and understanding. In fact, she even recounted a story of a student who had been accepted there last year but went to USAFA. After BCT the student knew if was not the life for them and left. They were not able to get into Plan B at that point as they had declined the offer in April. I think that a genuine conversation with Plan B can be helpful. I never did mention my name though ;)

When my DS went to USMA, he contacted his Plan B school and put everything out on the table. They were extremely supportive to the situation and wished him luck, but said they would welcome him with open arms with all of his merit scholarship still intact should something happen at Beast. I'm sure it helped that the admissions officer was a retired officer whose son had graduated from West Point!
 
Top