Tier 3 Scholarship

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by Swampertness, May 16, 2015.

  1. Swampertness

    Swampertness Member

    May 13, 2015
    Likes Received:
    I would like to major in a tier 3 major, but my stats aren't too high for the other parts. I have a 1320 CR and Math SAT and my GPA is 3.5 unweighted. I was on the JV team for track and cross country. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to get the scholarship if I major in a 3rd tier major since I heard the navy prefers first and 2nd tier. Would I have a lower chance?
  2. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator 5-Year Member

    Oct 21, 2010
    Likes Received:
    Assuming you plan to apply for NROTC Navy option then yes, in some sense you would have a lesser chance. Navy likes to get 85% tier 1 & 2 majors and the remaining 15% are tier 3. Nevertheless, you can get a tier 3 scholarship and I see no point to majoring in something you don't want to major in.... you would be a very unhappy camper and it would affect your chances of being a successful midshipmen.

    I would point out that for Marine options the major doesn't matter but perhaps you're not interested in the Marines?

Share This Page