Discussion in 'Coast Guard Academy - USCGA' started by Chuck20, Nov 3, 2016.
That means it's only for the Academy, not for the Prep School
Just sent you a private message.
Even though my son received an appointment, it looks like my sons chances of getting into the Coast Guard Academy went from 100% to about 5% after talking with a Coast Guard Academy rep the other day. After my son informed him that DodMERB results showed him to be color deficient the rep said he would need to get another test done (probably Farnsworth Lantern test) and that if he didn't pass that one he would be disqualified. My son assumed DodMERB sent the results back in October to the CGA.
5% is still not 0% ... keep positive and best of luck ... keeping positive thoughts for you!
DoDMERB probably did provide the results/status to us in October, but we don't consider an applicant's medical status when reviewing their record. Medical status determines whether or not someone receives a conditional or full appointment, but not whether or not we accept them.
Thanks for the info. I'm not complaining although it wasn't a complete surprise as my son's DodMERB results did specifically state he was disqualified for the Coast Guard Academy unless a waiver is granted. We will see the Farnworth Lantern test results later today which will determine if he needs to concentrate pursuing other options.
How soon after the new year will RA start to be reviewed? Do the AO make the final decision?
Our daughter was granted a conditional appointment pending DoDMERB granting her a waiver for ear tubes. Can anyone clue me in on how long the process is to find out if a waiver has been given? Or even if ear tubes will be a disqualification? From what I see online, it isn't, but can anyone offer any insight? Much appreciated!
My daughter has a remedial/AMI to complete as well. My understanding is that DoDMERB only makes the qualified/disqualified decision and forwards that to CGA. If she is DQd by DoDMERB, she will be automatically submitted to CGA for waiver consideration. She is on it this week while she is on break, but the track coach said that a final decision can take until April. Hopefully it won't take that long! The way I think of this process is "A marathon of sprints!"
and a ton of grey hairs - best of luck to her!
That is very helpful! Thank you! By then, her tubes will be out! . Are you supposed to contact anyone to see if they will need any additional information for the waiver decision?
I think they contact you if they need more info, but I've also read it's a good idea to stay in touch with her AO
hopefulbear/self/Dec 21, 2016
1. corescue59/DS/Nov 4, 2016
2. jag3/DD/Nov 5, 2016
3. padre101/DS/Nov 6, 2016
4. iqmom/DD/Nov 6, 2016
5. anon2021/Self/Nov 6, 2016
6. 4for40/Self/Nov 6, 2016
7. candor/Self/Nov 6, 2016
8. klahowya16/Self/Nov 20, 2016
9. Idlewild/DD/No 20, 2016
10. FPMOM2015/DD/Nov 21, 2016
11. rtp9799/DS/Nov 21, 2016
12. Sandra614/DS/ Nov 22, 2016
13. tmamon/DS/Nov 22, 2016
14. JoLinz16/DS/Nov 22,2016
15. jbnll/DS/ Dec 15, 2016
16. panthermama/DS/Dec 15, 2016
17. 2021parent/DD/Dec 19, 2016
18. texas_two_step/DS/Dec 19, 2016
19. seaninsc/Self/Dec 19, 2016
20. Nav21/Self/Dec 19, 2016
21. elmtwigs/DD/Dec 19, 2016
22. bennington1/DS/Dec 19, 2016
23. Lazer4575/DS/Dec 21, 2016
24. Cptcln/DD/Dec 21, 2016
25. hopefulbear/Self/Dec 21, 2016
Great news for the 25 listed. You new life begins on R Day. Be strong those 6 weeks. Watch each other's back. Then enjoy your week sail on Eagle.
Good luck to you all. I hope my DS comes off the waitlist to join you!!!
- DS on Eagle in 2015 ... his adventure begins officially 26 June 2017.
Great picture. As a sailor I can appreciate being on the ocean. Such a wonderful experience!
those 2 weeks change his course in life ... instead of wanting to head to annapolis ... he was hell bent on new london from the moment he came home!
Nice story. My DD has applied for RA. Was to do the PFE next week. May not do as she has the flu. Not much appetite and coughing a lot. No condition for a run. Her plan B is in place. She got accepted to the School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, University of New Orleans. The same major she would do at the academy. They will 90% of the cost. Still her first choice was the Academy. She emailed her AO to inform him what is going on. She will exceed 135 points with push ups and sits ups.
Separate names with a comma.