I was hoping to get some opinions or advice on being in NROTC vs attending the Academy. I was turned down for the class of 2020 last year and am currently at a NROTC unit. I have really enjoyed life at a civilian college and the freedom it has but still believe that life at the Academy would challenge and develop me much more than NROTC would. I would really appreciate any general advice, recommendations or answers to some of the personal questions I have that I think are important for my decision.
- Is spending an extra year at university worth it to change to USNA if it leads to the same result?
- I have heard that NROTC students that go to USNA after a year typically are unhappy, is there any truth to this or is it simply a one sided story from the students I am surrounded by?
- Are the sailors in the fleet from USNA usually better than those from ROTC?
- I have been told that USNA graduates are more likely to become high-ranking officers, is this true?
- Finally, after a career in the Navy, I am aware a USNA degree is highly sought after. However, If I am at a top engineering school and will ultimately still get the leadership experience that comes from being in the fleet as a sailor, does the USNA degree still hold significantly more prestige?