Hello, I am a first time poster, but long time lurker. This will likely be a long winded post so I thank you in advance for reading this. First, let me just give you some background on me and what my plans are. I just graduated high school and will be attending VMI this fall with the Rat Mass of 2017+3. I truly feel so privileged to have this opportunity and am ecstatic about what lies ahead. My ultimate life goal is to become a Naval Officer and unfortunately I did not receive a NROTC scholarship and will therefore be a college program midshipman. To be frank, the reason I didn't apply to USNA in addition to NROTC and VMI was because I spent too much time procrastinating on getting in shape. Having said that, I in no way am disappointed in VMI, I actually prefer VMI in many respects (such as having flexibility of branch, I also like the more austere living conditions in barracks, to name a few). The problem that I'm running into is that I'm an out of state cadet and although my parents do make a significant combined income and are in a much better position than others, I have a brother at a $50,000/year school and that's what VMI will be for me. The biggest kicker is that I don't have a contract with the Navy (or any other branch, I also applied for AFROTC), so although I plan on taking loans and hope to pick up a 3 or 2 year NROTC "side-load" scholarship. Obviously these are also in no way a guarantee. This lead me to think about applying to USNA for the class of 2021. If I got accepted than that would be a full ride guaranteed commissioning and almost walking distance from my house. That's a sweet deal. But at this point, I definitely feel that leaving VMI will be something I really won't want to do at all after having gone through the Ratline with all of my Brother Rats. I know this opinion can change, but I really am just kind of wanting to do a sanity check on if this plan makes sense as a back up to picking up a 3 year ROTC scholarship/how any other cadets in a similar situation may have handled the decision. To add further variables, I'm also looking into NUPOC and BDCP which could equal staying at VMI, but that application wouldn't be until after accepting the hypothetical USNA appointment. I hope this actually completely uselss hahaha. I just would like some extra opinions and advice. Thanks so much!