just an update for anyone in a similar situation needing advice:
I contacted my first choice school to which I was waitlisted and explained my situation directly to one of their admissions councilors and the unit contacts I had. They told me their very slim chances of getting off the waitlist so I continued on with my second choice school to which I was accepted. I sent the waitlisted school updated grades and reminders of my situation so I stayed fresh in their minds about once or twice a month until June, while still continuing to apply to my second choice school. I found that although the units fill up astroturfing at schools, it was not nearly as fast as I thought and had my first choice school accepted me it would have been relatively easy to transfer everything. That being said, I am so happy to be attending that second choice school now this week and am glad with how everything turned out!