Accept or wait?

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by 1WayOrAnother, Mar 29, 2011.

  1. 1WayOrAnother

    1WayOrAnother New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2011
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    If DS accepts an appointment offer from one SA, does it in any way affect his chances to receive an offer of appointment to another SA? DS has received appointment offer to his 2nd choice SA and is still waiting to hear from 1st choice...of course do not want to hold up a spot for someone else either.
     
  2. Jacobryan10

    Jacobryan10 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2011
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    0
    Accepting one appointment to a SA automatically makes you disqualified for admittance for another SA during that application cycle. If he wants to go to his number 1 SA he should wait
     
  3. Memphis9489

    Memphis9489 Parent

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    Messages:
    1,234
    Likes Received:
    135
    Just sit on the current appointment, without accepting it, until the last minute. That's the only thing you can do.

    In any case, even if you accept an appointment - you can later decline it. You can change your mind. They can't make you show up for I-Day.

    Invariably, there always seems to be somebody who accepts their appointment and, for one reason or another, just doesn't show up on I-Day without any explanation. Perhaps they get cold feet at the last second.

    The Class of 2013 had a kid quit during the processing in Alumni Hall. As soon as it came time to get his haircut - he refused. And that was it for him.
     
  4. MIDNDAD

    MIDNDAD Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2008
    Messages:
    357
    Likes Received:
    1
    Look in the appointment packet but I believe you have until May 1st to get the offical acceptance in. I could be wrong since it's been a few years. Agree with sitting on the appointment till the last days possible to see if the #1 choice arrives. Cards should be on the table by April 15th.
     
  5. Ddcga

    Ddcga Member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2011
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    0
    But can you decline an appointment (after accepting on May 1) if you are offered an appointment at your first choice SA after May 1?
     
  6. BR2011

    BR2011 USAFA Cadet

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2006
    Messages:
    395
    Likes Received:
    9
    You are able to leave an SA obligation free from the time you accept the appointment until you start 2/c year (in some cases you can leave after that).
     
  7. usna1985

    usna1985 USNA Alumnus

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    4,508
    Likes Received:
    456
    There is no "rush" or urgency until at least May 1. At that point, you should have some indication from all SAs -- appt, WL, or turndown.

    Don't worry about opening a spot for others -- if you turn down your appt, I know USNA has a waitlist and I believe the other SAs do as well.

    If you are WL'ed at another SA and that remains your first choice . . . that may be a different story. If that happens, come back to us then and the collective minds here can probably help out. No use fretting until that happens.
     
  8. 1964BGO

    1964BGO Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2009
    Messages:
    923
    Likes Received:
    16
    If you have accepted an offer from a SA and later change your mind about attending for any reason, the class thing to do is to advise that SA of the change so that another candidate may be offered the slot. Both the SA and the other candidate will appreciate your action. The same applies to any ROTC appointments you may have accepted.
     
  9. Memphis9489

    Memphis9489 Parent

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    Messages:
    1,234
    Likes Received:
    135
    I would say, yes. Like I said, they can never make you attend - even if you have officially accepted the appointment. But, you really should notify the academy that you had previously accepted that you have changed your mind. It is rather classless to simply not show up. Let somebody else have an opportunity.

    I've heard of appointments that were just days before I-Day, probably for the very situation we're discussing. It's really not the ideal way of handling it, however. But, I'm fairly confident you can do this. Probably one of the BGO's should chime in on this one.
     
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

Share This Page