Citadel Full Academic Scholarship

Discussion in 'Publicly and Privately Funded Military Colleges' started by JohnPaulJones, Jan 6, 2014.

  1. JohnPaulJones

    JohnPaulJones Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2013
    Messages:
    80
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have been awarded the full ride academic scholarship to attend The Citadel. I must either accept or deny this scholarship offer by January 10, 2014. However, I would rather go to USNA or USCGA. I have a 3Q + Nom for USNA and have been waitlisted for USCGA. Given that I will not know on the official acceptance for either USNA or USCGA for several months, should I accept the full scholarship offer from The Citadel now and then decline it later if I am accepted to USNA or USCGA? Is this not a good thing to do in the eyes of the Citadel Scholarship board? I want to make sure that I have a "bird" in hand. If I should accept it, should I denote in my letter to them that "I may decline this offer at a later date if I am accepted to a SA"?

    Any advice would be very much appreciated.
     
  2. Full Metal Bulldog

    Full Metal Bulldog Citadel Class of 2016

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2012
    Messages:
    428
    Likes Received:
    22
    Accept. It. Now.
     
  3. CodyL

    CodyL Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2013
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    I think the best course of action would be to call one of the representatives and explain the predicament that you are in.
     
  4. VMI82

    VMI82 Room 131

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2013
    Messages:
    154
    Likes Received:
    6
    +1 CodyL

    I believe you should be above board with the Citadel, explain your situation and ask them what they feel would be the best and most honorable way to proceed so you can preserve this scholarship option while waiting for the SA decisions

    others on this site will likely disagree with me (I've had similar back & forths)

    to me - I believe how you start your Military career is how you will carry on

    that you ask for insight and wisdom on this decision speaks volumes about your integrity

    Best wishes and Good luck
     
  5. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,544
    Likes Received:
    1,004
    I would endorse that approach. However, I would also caution that one should also be prepared to be told they need to make a firm commitment by Jan 10 one way or the other.
     
  6. bob80q

    bob80q bob80q Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2012
    Messages:
    169
    Likes Received:
    0
    if you have a full ride to The Citadel that is as good a deal as the academies and you can go into any service including the Coast Guard. And besides Charleston is more beautiful and has better weather than Annapolis or New London. Go south young man.
     

Share This Page