"Discussion of prep..."

Discussion in 'Service Academy Preparatory Schools' started by leafygreen, Mar 31, 2015.

  1. leafygreen

    leafygreen Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2014
    Messages:
    43
    Likes Received:
    29
    The title says it all. For dd, there has been phone/email 'discussion of prep' coming from USMA athletics as she has been being recruited for a sport and her file is being supported for prep through athletics.

    We were told she would be updated as her file progressed, and this was a couple of weeks ago from athletic admissions. There has been discussion of WP Prep or CP. She is neither 3Q'd nor DQ'd currently. We received an email last week from the coach listing a few civil prep schools to check out for starters and that we would pay 1/3, AOG would pay 1/3 and WP pay 1/3 if this was the route picked. However, we have nothing in concrete, official format otherwise.

    Just curious if anyone else has been in this boat? We did check out some of the CP schools and some say they have two deadlines one in April, one in May. Some say January and we've passed the deadline. I'm assuming there is still time if WP wants her and they approve her for prep, something can pan out this late in the game? We aren't really sure what we should be doing, if anything at the moment.

    Obviously, we wait, but curious if anyone else has had a similar situation to this.
    Thank you in advance for any insight.
     
  2. NavyHoops

    NavyHoops Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Messages:
    3,089
    Likes Received:
    2,442
    Don't worry about the school deadlines. They know they are going to get WP AOG prep folks and that is why they are approved schools. Civil Prep spots are often done very late in the game and the schools know this and hold spots open for them. More than anything until you know if they will offer CP or USMAPS, I would just really research possible CP schools and see what is the best fit. Is a military vs. civilian based school best? Location? Cost? Cost of travel to and from school? How many preps go a year from WP? What is the success rate (I think you will find this very high for sponsored prepsters)? Athletic opportunities? What school suits your DD best is all you really can do until the offers are made.
     
    leafygreen likes this.
  3. leafygreen

    leafygreen Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2014
    Messages:
    43
    Likes Received:
    29
    Thank you @NavyHoops, this confirms what our thoughts have been on the situation. Obviously, not knowing anything is difficult at best. This is somewhat the path we have been doing as well. At the very least you have helped concrete our thoughts :), and for that I'm grateful!
     
  4. WHISPER FAAAGI

    WHISPER FAAAGI New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2015
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    My DD is neither 3Q'd or DQ'd either. Similar to your DD, she is a recruited athlete. She has an incomplete portal - missing a nomination. Portal has looked the same for months. No denial letter in the mail or TWE. As of today no BFE. We visited WP at the end of summer and to my surprise she decided it was for her! So we rushed to make deadlines and now its a waiting game. We have turned down full ride scholarships in the process and about to loose plan B, C and D on May 1st as they require a committal to continue. But my DD's heart is set on WP or Prep. We were never offered civil prep. Any news would be good news at this point.
     
  5. tug_boat

    tug_boat Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2012
    Messages:
    1,748
    Likes Received:
    527
    If DD is a recruited athlete, you have not heard anything from the athletic department? If you have not, continue on with Plan B, C, and D. I would hate for you to lose out on other opportunities.

    Push Hard, Press Forward
     
  6. WHISPER FAAAGI

    WHISPER FAAAGI New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2015
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes Tug-boat! I agree. I think the athletic dept has taken us as far as they can. Even in constant contact with coaches, they cannot make guarantees. I know they've done their part. Until we get some kind of news from plan A - DD wants to wait. She does not want to quit before the - game is over.
     

Share This Page