DS Received Medical DQ

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by cb7893, Apr 1, 2013.

  1. cb7893

    cb7893 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2011
    Messages:
    1,064
    Likes Received:
    379
    DS is NROTC 4yr recipient. Half expected the DQ after receiving eye injury before Thanksgiving. DQ was received after the first request for a remedial was fulfilled. Appears as though late May is the earliest this can be resolved favorably if at all. DS has excellent plan B which cannot wait that long for a decision.

    We've received excellent guidance from this forum. Also, we really appreciate the public and private messages of support.

    At this point, all options and possible eventualities have been exhaustively researched and diagrammed out. The only variable left at this point in decided what to do is whether turning back the scholarship in the next few days would free one up for the next guy/gal in line? Or is it too late?

    Thanks in advance.
     
  2. Jcleppe

    Jcleppe Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2010
    Messages:
    5,541
    Likes Received:
    842
    Will your son be going to the same school the scholarship was offered, if so, hold onto the scholarship and wait to see if the waiver comes through.
     
  3. cb7893

    cb7893 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2011
    Messages:
    1,064
    Likes Received:
    379
    No, the scholarship is to U Mich OOS. The alternative is the local Big 10 school which is essentially free. Just submitted the FAFSA, CSS, etc. to Mich, so we'll see what they come up with. I doubt it will be south of 35k which would be a deal killer.

    Theoretically, we could go the distance with DoDMERB. If he got the waiver it would cost a kid a spot in the program at the local school which only accepts 28 kids/yr. If he didn't get the waiver it maybe costs a kid an NROTC scholarship this year.

    DS is very fortunate and he appreciates it. He is studying Mech E regardless. If he still aspires to the big ships, and the eye checks out down the road, he'll get there.
     
  4. marciemi

    marciemi USMA Alumnus

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1,481
    Likes Received:
    0
    How badly does your son want to be in NROTC? If he doesn't get the waiver, is the military out? Do you have any feel on the odds of him getting the waiver from talking with Dodmerb?

    We went through this 2 years ago with my son and a similar situation which wasn't resolved until into May. In my son's case it was dependent on the results of an MRI which couldn't be scheduled until 6 months after his previous one so we really didn't know what the outcome would be. We had to pay all the deposits, housing, etc. at his Plan B school (also a state school) while waiting to see what would happen. It did all work out and he got the approval and is now a sophomore enjoying NROTC and looking forward to life in the Navy. I can't imagine that he would have been willing to give up any chance he had to make it work out. Your son earned the scholarship - if he really wants to use it then I'd wait until you had a definite answer on the waiver unless Dodmerb has effectively told you that he has no chance.
     
  5. cb7893

    cb7893 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2011
    Messages:
    1,064
    Likes Received:
    379
    Received one request for remedial, which was done. Based on info sent, they sent notice that decision would wait until results of May 13 exam. Five days later with no exam/results, he was DQ'ed. Saw the eye doc Sat night, he said there is nothing wrong with DS's eye and DodMERB was told just that. Frankly, that vibe doesn't give us much optimism.

    It is even more complicated than your DS's. We cannot pay the freight at scholarship school if DS is ultimately DQ'ed. The deal at the local Big 10 U is excellent. They made an offer to DS which was very individualized and made contingent upon DS making an Apr 1 decision. They want a class of 28 and they are holding one seat for DS. he is the only one getting that treatment. He has friends who were turned down or sitting on a waiting list. We are already on borrowed time.
     
  6. Jcleppe

    Jcleppe Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2010
    Messages:
    5,541
    Likes Received:
    842
    Does the Big 10 school have an NROTC program, if so will he join as a college programmer, if so maybe that will give time to work through all the Dodmerb mess.
     
  7. goaliedad

    goaliedad Parent

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1,601
    Likes Received:
    35
    Don't worry about the end result of the scholarship. The money will be spent elsewhere - perhaps as a side load, perhaps as a scholarship elsewhere, perhaps as a later awarded 4-year.

    Not sure about the specifics of the program, but at any school, they have ways of backfilling slots in these programs. Yes, it is an honor, just remember, this is about his goals and objectives, not filling their program.

    That being said, if you cannot afford the school without the scholarship, remember he is 1 more medical accident away from not being able to afford to continue at U Mich. And on top of that, the FA offer as a transfer student will not be what you pass up today in all likelihood. If you can afford that scenario, then proceed if it is important to him. Put down both deposits and see what happens in May.
     
  8. cb7893

    cb7893 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2011
    Messages:
    1,064
    Likes Received:
    379
    Thanks guys. I do appreciate you taking the time.
     

Share This Page