Flight Cancelled

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by RascalFlatts5858, Feb 24, 2010.

  1. RascalFlatts5858

    RascalFlatts5858 Candidate

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well I got got a call that my flight out of MKE to BWI has been cancelled for tomorrow morning. I am supposed to be attending the February CVW. Any advice? We booked Southwest which seems to be the only airline with cancelled flights for tomorrow, everyone else's is still set to depart. I just checked and we can change it to a flight later, but it wouldn't get in til 4:15 and I'm afraid that I woldn't get to USNA in time
     
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. MIDNDAD

    MIDNDAD Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2008
    Messages:
    357
    Likes Received:
    1
    As a frequent corporate flyer....Obviously call SW and check for alternate flights. Contact other ailines to check for a 1 way flight to BWI. Last resort can you drive to Ohare and catch flight to BWI? None of these options will not cost extra dollars but if you can afford the cost those are the simple options to check on.

    Once you have alternative plan call academy to inform them you will be late but still comming.
     
  3. marciemi

    marciemi USMA Alumnus

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1,481
    Likes Received:
    0
    I see AirTran still has many options for about $124 one way which isn't horrible. At least with Southwest you can always save the money for a future flight. I know AirTran flies direct and we've never had trouble with them. You don't even want to hear my story of trying to fly Southwest out for CVW last month (also MKE to BWI). I kind of wish they'd just cancelled the flight - would have been much less stressful! Good luck!
     
  4. RascalFlatts5858

    RascalFlatts5858 Candidate

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah I used them last time and I had no problems. We booked Southwest this time because they were cheapest when you count baggage fees since they dont charge for that. Due to cost I don't think we can afford to book out of Chicago. Looks like we'll have to catch the later flight and just arrive a little late. Still trying to get them on the phone, been on hold for abour 20 min.
     
  5. Just_A_Mom

    Just_A_Mom Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2006
    Messages:
    4,826
    Likes Received:
    2
    FYI:

    There is a weather *situation* that will be affecting the entire east coast -

    From the SWA website:
    Honestly, if I were you I would call USNA and reschedule your CVW. Just because other airlines have not canceled flights yet - doesn't mean they won't.
     
  6. pilotmom15

    pilotmom15 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    Messages:
    96
    Likes Received:
    0
    OMG I can't believe they have cancelled flight here in Washington DC. Further North is suppose to get slammed, but we are only expecting maybe 1-3 inches and since it has been in the 40th this past week they are prediciting more rain. I can't beleive they canceleld so far ahead of time. I would see about either changing your CVW or switching airlines.
     
  7. NYRower182

    NYRower182 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2010
    Messages:
    124
    Likes Received:
    0
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but for the first time in my life I am sick of snow days. I feel bad for you. Snow is a plague in the northeast this year.
     
  8. sbbond93

    sbbond93 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Messages:
    60
    Likes Received:
    0
    Being from the area, it is simple to fly in to Dulles Airport or Regan National Airport which are not very far away (hour at the most). It might be possible to fly in there and miss the storm.
     
  9. RascalFlatts5858

    RascalFlatts5858 Candidate

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for all the replies. As of right now we changed our flight to a later one and are hoping it isn't affected. We'll arrive at BWI (weather permitting) at 4:15 so we are cutting it a little close. Worse comes to worse and that flight gets cancelled again I guess I'll have to call addmissions and hope I can change my CVW weekend. I'm not able to change the flight w/o extra fees to a different airport and am not in the position to pay any more money so I guess I'lll just have to hope for the flight to happen!
     
  10. 2012mom?

    2012mom? Member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    2
    If your parents will be getting a RC, may I suggest you Google/Mapquest several alternate routes from BWI to USNA? MD-100 to I-97 may be backed up due to rush hour.

    Suggestions from those in the area?
     
  11. usnafourteen

    usnafourteen Member

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2009
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    0
    rascal- i'm crossing my fingers for you! i thought cvw was a good chance to see the school after going to NASS and so I hope everything works out. if not, id be happy to tell you about my experience if you would like to hear about it. hopefully you will get to experience it on your own at some CVW, if not this one. good luck!
     
  12. RascalFlatts5858

    RascalFlatts5858 Candidate

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes my mom is getting a rental car. I will look into the alternate routes as we will already be arriving with little time to spare. Thanks! And any suggestions for that alternate route would be great!
     
  13. 1964BGO

    1964BGO Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2009
    Messages:
    923
    Likes Received:
    16
    Make a point to email your RD and advise of the change in your flight plans, and follow-up with a call tomorrow morning so he/she knows what is happening. Get used to the idea that when plans go astray you notify your command asap and follow-up with your new plans as soon as they are firm. Standard policy in the service. They tend to get nervous when they lose track of one on their critters.
     
  14. luv2fly

    luv2fly Member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2009
    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    1
    If the airlines are canceling flights it's for a reason, the weather!

    If you are flying to BWI and their is a weather event going on at BWI don't think you are going to be on time.

    Here is the forecast for BWI today.

    KBWI 250233Z 2503/2606 01003KT P6SM BKN040 OVC060
    FM250400 32005KT 5SM -RA BR OVC028
    FM250600 32008KT 2SM -SN BR OVC010 =0100 2 miles light snow
    FM251200 31010KT 1/2SM SN FG OVC008 =0700 1/2 mile snow and fog
    FM251500 32015G25KT 1SM -SN BR OVC015 =1000 1 mile snow and mist
    FM251900 31020G35KT 2SM -SN OVC015= 1400 2 miles light snow

    Stay away from BWI.
     
  15. Just_A_Mom

    Just_A_Mom Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2006
    Messages:
    4,826
    Likes Received:
    2
    If I were you I would drive down to Chicago (MIdway) and fly into BWI today.

    There are lots of flights as that is a much busier route. When weather is bad - today not so much snow (there's that) but high winds and fog as well - they cancel the outlying flights first.
     
  16. jennyp

    jennyp Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Messages:
    828
    Likes Received:
    1
    Flatts: Arriving at 4:15 will be ok.


    As far as the traffic: We have never had a problem on our 6 trips back there. Flying in to BWI, driving to USNA. Rush hour, whatever. I am always extra cautious, allow extra time, etc. and just glide right down there. Never been stopped in traffic at all. Every time, I am amazed. Like less than 30 minutes from airport to USNA.
     

Share This Page