Help

Discussion in 'Military Academy - USMA' started by US Patriot, Feb 24, 2014.

  1. US Patriot

    US Patriot Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am currently doing Marching band, as well as being heavily involved with my JROTC program, I also volunteer. I would really like to participate in a varsity sport, however there is 0 time in my schedule. Is there anything else that I could do to help me be competitive for appointments and acceptance?
     
  2. cadet85

    cadet85 Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2013
    Messages:
    281
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well any clubs are good, but Varsity sports is huge on your profile. Big enough to where you may need to consider making time in your schedule for it. Remember, West Point wants somebody who is good with time management. Also, I think around 92% of the c/o 2017 participated in varsity athletics. Do you really want to take your chances with the 8%?
     
  3. casnmas

    casnmas Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    0
    I take it you are applying to class of 2019... Academics are 60% of your WCS (whole candidate score). Class rank is weighted higher than SAT, ACT. STUDY and take the toughest courses you think you can get A's and B's in. 30% of WCS is leadership...Sports is a big part of this... along with a varsity letter you want to become captain of your teams... not sure how many candidates get accepted without participating in a sport... Apply to attend Boys State, it is put on by the American Legion, you may have to find a member of the family that is a veteran, and apply for membership in order to get in, another check mark in the leadership column... Are you a scout? Complete your Eagle if you are close to completing it, another check mark. Debate team? Class officer/president?... 10% or WCS is CFA (candidate fitness assesment) lots of time for this but don't take it lightly. Good luck
     
  4. US Patriot

    US Patriot Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    No i suppose not, thank you.
     
  5. US Patriot

    US Patriot Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am 97 out of 777 how is that?
     
  6. casnmas

    casnmas Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    0
    That is top 12%...it is in the range... see the sticky "What are my chances" on this Forum. It has links to ratings for class rank, SAT, ACT, etc... of recent USMA classes
     
  7. Positivity

    Positivity Member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2012
    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    0
    You have to think about your application holistically. What can you do to improve in every single area (academic, leadership, athletics)? I understand that marching band is very intensive, but I had friends in band who also played sports.

    Just focus on doing the very best you can. Is your schedule REALLY that tight? If so, kudos, and keep doing what you're doing. If not, try to find a sport you enjoy enough to fit in. Hope this helps.
     
  8. cadet85

    cadet85 Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2013
    Messages:
    281
    Likes Received:
    0
    To piggy-back on this, it is an analysis of your WHOLE profile. Academics, leadership, and athletics. So if you don't have athletics as a big part of your profile, you are going to have to make it up BIG somewhere else, which isn't easy to do. They want a well rounded candidate, so constantly ask yourself - Am I doing something to make myself better in all areas? Sometimes you can focus your efforts somewhere more worthwhile. Sorry to preach. tl;dr - west point looks at it all, so do it all.
     
  9. 845something

    845something Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2013
    Messages:
    739
    Likes Received:
    166
    That would be 8% that didn't participate in VARSITY sports, but that doesn't mean they didn't play any sports. If there is a Hole in your file, it will reflect negatively in your Whole Candidate Score. Try averaging anything with a 0, and you can get an appreciation of the effect. Competition in specific districts and principal nominations aside, if you want into West Point without playing sports, you better have near perfect test scores, near valedictorian HS class rank, and strong extracurricular leadership (in US Patriot's case, that would be Drum Major/Director and JROTC Bn Cdr or higher).
     
  10. Renegade13

    Renegade13 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2014
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    4
    Are you involved in any JROTC extracurricular activities? This may sound lame to some, but when I spoke with West Point admissions, they consider Orienteeering, Drill, and Rifle Marksmanship teams to be varsity sports. If you are involved in those, talk to your SAI about how to earn a varsity letter at your school. Raiders, the most physically demanding, is not considered a sport. I have my therories as to why, but that is what I was told by West Point. I am currently an SAI, and was looking for the correct information to put out to my cadets.
     
  11. MemberLG

    MemberLG Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,807
    Likes Received:
    444
    A trend I seen among candidates is latching on their strengths thinking that it will mitigate their weaknesses. Something along the line of being president of 5 clubs, 500 hours of volunteer service, Eagle scout, and etc, so not playing a varsity sport will be okay. As far as I know there is no extra credit in the WCS, so once you max out an area, no extra credit.

    So better to be a whole candidate than candidate that is very very strong in most areas.
     

Share This Page