LOA--Now what?

Discussion in 'Military Academy - USMA' started by L36P, Jul 23, 2010.

  1. L36P

    L36P New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    For those of you lucky enough to get an LOA, or for those dreaming of getting an LOA, once you have it, what happens next? I know it is conditional and you have to complete the application and get a nomination, but that seems pretty straightforward. Assume you are medically qualified.

    Will you stop your applications to other service academies or colleges, assuming that West Point is your number one choice, or do you continue so that you have more choices if by some strange reason it doesn't work out. Seems to me that's like getting in the college of your choice and still applying to the local community college.
     
  2. AKH

    AKH Member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2010
    Messages:
    292
    Likes Received:
    0
    Letter of Assurances are normally contingent on something. I completed all of my application by the end of June, I'm medically qualified, and I've received a Presidential nomination, so it's not contingent on anything. Are you curious as to what I plan to do personally? Yes, West Point is my number one choice, but everyone needs a Plan B. Everything I've done for my West Point app I've done for the Naval Academy as well, but their admissions meet in September so I'll hear from them around then. I'm still going to apply to a few civilian colleges, but my parents and I haven't decided if I should keep my ROTC scholarship apps alive.
     
  3. CPT_Claw

    CPT_Claw Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    0
    If serving in the military is truly your desired end game, then my advice would be to continue your ROTC scholarship efforts. Too many things can happen between now and receiving the actual appointment and then R Day. The Cadet Command looks at many of the same things the Academy Admissions teams do, but they view them through a different lense.

    Don't shut off any avenues to your ultimate destination this early in the trip. You're neither hurting nor costing yourself anything by continuing the ROTC process, and you will then have the ability to make a decision with multiple options to which you can compare.

    Good luck. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
     

Share This Page