March Madness 2015

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buff81, Mar 16, 2015.

  1. buff81

    buff81 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2008
    Messages:
    2,644
    Likes Received:
    263
    Do you like bracket challenges?
    Want to compete against your fellow SAF friends?

    A Service Academy Forums Group at ESPN Tournament Challenge was created a couple of years ago. Last year, we had 13 SAFers join and compete against one another with LITS being the winner.

    To join the fun, go to: http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2015/en/group?groupID=260864

    Group Password: saf

    Let the games begin......
     
  2. future_navy

    future_navy Member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2014
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    13
    going to have to take the title this year boys
     
    kinnem likes this.
  3. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,544
    Likes Received:
    1,004
    Damn. I'll be driving on Thursday to get to Quantico for an OCS graduation and commissioning on Friday. I'll miss two important days of play! :( The things I do for my country! :)
     
  4. LineInTheSand

    LineInTheSand USCGA 2006

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    Messages:
    8,753
    Likes Received:
    1,004
    Wait, WHAT?!?!?! I WON?!?!?! Are you sure?
     
    kinnem likes this.
  5. EDelahanty

    EDelahanty Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2010
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    312
    Of course you did, and nobody recalls your thrilling come-from-last place victory better than I. A great lesson in humility was in store for me after heaping ridicule on your moonshot pick of first round loser GWU to win it all. (Question to mods.: If LITS doesn't claim his $10 million prize before the deadline, does it go back into this years's pot?)
     
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  6. LineInTheSand

    LineInTheSand USCGA 2006

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    Messages:
    8,753
    Likes Received:
    1,004
    My picks are based entirely on schools I like, states I like or mascots I like (or schools I dislike, states I dislike or mascots I dislike).

    OK, I'll claim my $10 million
     
  7. buff81

    buff81 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2008
    Messages:
    2,644
    Likes Received:
    263
    My job is very flexible so I busted it these past 2 weeks so that I could be home Thursday and Friday. ;)
     
    kinnem likes this.
  8. future_navy

    future_navy Member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2014
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    13
    Kentucky has a 49% chance of winning this year. Thats 51% between every single other team haha
     
  9. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,544
    Likes Received:
    1,004
    I won't argue with your statistics. Nevertheless, when it gets to the final it's (or should be in some sense) 50-50.
     
    future_navy likes this.
  10. buff81

    buff81 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2008
    Messages:
    2,644
    Likes Received:
    263
    One more day to get your brackets in!
     
  11. LineInTheSand

    LineInTheSand USCGA 2006

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    Messages:
    8,753
    Likes Received:
    1,004
    I just wonder how many fine five-string banjos I can buy with that $10 million prize from last year.... after taxes of course.
     
  12. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,544
    Likes Received:
    1,004
    By my calculations, assuming you buy a high quality instrument, 1000.
     
  13. LineInTheSand

    LineInTheSand USCGA 2006

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    Messages:
    8,753
    Likes Received:
    1,004
    That's actually not a bad calculation. Or I could get 50 very high end banjos.
     
    kinnem likes this.
  14. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,544
    Likes Received:
    1,004
  15. LineInTheSand

    LineInTheSand USCGA 2006

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    Messages:
    8,753
    Likes Received:
    1,004
    Haha, the really expensive, $150,000-$200,000 are pre-War (that's pre-WWII) Gibson original five-string flat head banjos. Why are they so expensive? First, Gibson did a horrible job documenting how it made banjos. The tone rings (a metal ring inside the banjo you can't really see) were made from a certain metal. That metal changed during WWII and never went back to that pre-war quality. Next, in the 1920s jazz was big. Gibson cut back on the number of five-strings it was producing, because a majority of the banjos out there were being used in jazz and jazz players used flat picks and wanted all but the 5th string. So Gibson produced a much larger number of 4-string "plectrum" banjos (it's a 5-string without the short 5th string). Finally, of the banjos being produced at the time, Gibson was pumping out more "arch top" banjos instead of "flat head."

    Earl Scruggs played a pre-war Gibson 5-string. That's the sound people want in bluegrass.

    Eventually the 5-string banjo became more popular, again, and the 4-string faded a bit. Today, one of those original banjos, unaltered are VERY hard to find.

    What happens more often is someone buys a Gibson 4-string and has it converted to a 5-string (or purchase one that's already been converted). Those Gibson conversion banjos still pull in $5,000+.

    In all honesty, the Gibson name adds another $1,000-$2,000 to the price of newer Gibson banjos (Gibson stopped making banjos a few years ago).

    Now there are other good size builders such as Deering, Stelling, Gold Tone, Recording King, etc. and a number of small shops (including one man shops) such as Hatfield (my banjo), Yates, Sullivan, Nechville, Bishline, etc.

    And you want to talk about people who are really into the tools as well as the music? Banjo players approach their instruments like a science.... trying to achieve the perfect set up.

    I'm only a year into this, but I've learned so much. It's a fun, difficult instrument to learn. And my Hatfield is kind of like my baby. HA!
     
  16. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,544
    Likes Received:
    1,004
    The things you can learn on this forum! I actually had something of an idea as one of my friends is a sometime blue grass banjo player and song writer. He actually has had some hits on the bluegrass charts including a number 2. He thoroughly enjoys walking to the mailbox and collecting those royalty checks.
     
  17. LineInTheSand

    LineInTheSand USCGA 2006

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    Messages:
    8,753
    Likes Received:
    1,004
    You better PM me and tell me who and what songs I should look up to make him richer. HA!
     
  18. matty

    matty Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2014
    Messages:
    186
    Likes Received:
    26
    The UVA logo is really nice so they made it all the way to the finals -- the weather in Oregon is spectacular so they made it to.
     
    future_navy likes this.
  19. future_navy

    future_navy Member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2014
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    13
    I have UVA final four they have solid defense so not a bad pick matty
     
    matty likes this.
  20. fencersmother

    fencersmother Founding Member

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2007
    Messages:
    2,580
    Likes Received:
    800
    OK, I'm in.

    What do I win? I'm looking for a new kitchen floor. Or, ok, CASH.
     

Share This Page