NEW change on AROTC status

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by philmont, Nov 19, 2010.

  1. philmont

    philmont Member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2010
    Messages:
    223
    Likes Received:
    4
    check site. Status changed again to list the specific schools for scholarship.:smile: Good luck!!
     
  2. Azmomm

    Azmomm Member

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2010
    Messages:
    92
    Likes Received:
    9
    Yes Indeed:shake::thumb:
     
  3. bcom

    bcom Member

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2010
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    0
    I just checked for my son and he got,,, Princeton University,,,,,Praise the Lord!
     
  4. aglages

    aglages Parent

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,680
    Likes Received:
    4
    My son was approved for his top two choices:
    Penn State University
    University of Michigan
    He has been accepted by PSU and is waiting for UM.:smile:
     
  5. educateme

    educateme Member

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2009
    Messages:
    323
    Likes Received:
    0
    aglages,

    What a wonderful news for you and your son. You are a grand daddy here :shake: helping everybody. I certainly benefited from your advice and wisdom. So it's great to see the wonderful outcome for your family. Congrats!!!!
     
  6. dunninla

    dunninla Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,866
    Likes Received:
    5
    that's great aglages.

    Now just make sure he waits to hear whether he can get into a program from a Branch that will teach him to drive really big stuff.. :thumb:
     
  7. irishfan9

    irishfan9 Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    If we were awarded a scholarship but not to every school we requested, is it possible to get the scholarship for the other after the other boards?
    I was rewarded the scholarship to Notre Dame and U of I but I didn't get it for Boston College. ND is my top choice but if I don't get into ND, BC is my 2nd choice, so is it possible to get a scholarship to BC after the next board?
     
  8. educateme

    educateme Member

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2009
    Messages:
    323
    Likes Received:
    0
    irishfan,

    the answer is NO: once you are awarded a scholarship, no new schools will be added through the subsequent boards.

    if you don't get in to the school you picked and notified to CC by the 30 day deadline, your best outcome is to see whether you can transfer your ND scholarship to a school that accepts you. However, this is NOT guaranteed outcome. I hear that every year, there are scholarship winners who cannot use the scholarship because they did not get into the school they picked for the scholarship, and they couldn't transfer the scholarship to the school that did accept them.

    This is why getting a scholarship to an insanely competitive school is both blessing and a risk. Admission outcomes for top 10 schools or so are crap shoots, there is really no way to predict whether one will be accepted or not. So, you could have a scholarship to Harvard, and not get admitted. (by the way, this is even worse since the likes of Harvard and Princeton don't even have ED or EA).

    Is it too late to do ED for Nortre Dame? If you can, you will get the results before the 30 day period is over. If you get in, you lock that in. If you don't, then you can choose another school (in the scholarship award form, NOT a new school that was not on the original scholarship offer list).

    Also, note that ED boosts your odds significantly. . It's a well known fact. There was a study by somebody that showed that ED application is like getting additional 200 points in SAT. So, if you can do ED to ND, that will be the best.

    Just so that you know, my son has submitted RD application to his top choice school before the board decision came out. This is a pretty competitive school (within top 30, sort of). Now he got the scholarship for it. we are going to convert it to ED: even though the ED deadline was Nov 15, the school will allow him to convert his RD application to ED - that is possible in part because S has been telling the PMS and the ROO all along that is his plan, and they have been communicating with the school admissions office well in advance, and the admissions director gave an informal agreement to allow this because he is aware of the situation, and he knows that my son has a sincere desire and was not gaming the system.

    So, talk to the PMS of the ND battalion. Find out whether they can advocate your case to the admissions office and let you apply ED even though it's past the deadline.

    Good luck.
     
  9. clarksonarmy

    clarksonarmy Recruiting Operations Officer at Clarkson Army

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2010
    Messages:
    1,699
    Likes Received:
    450
    There will probably be a process to request a transfer at some point. This will probably be explained in your offer letter (at least I would hope it will). Some of you will be in a little bit of a gray area as you wait for acceptance to college, while sitting on that scholarship offer. If I were you I would be in contact with the ROO at ND and at BC. See if the Battalion at ND has any pull with admissions, and make sure BC knows they are your backup school.

    just my 2 cents.
     
  10. 5rad

    5rad Member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2010
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    0
    My son's status changed also to include the list of schools he received scholarships from. He too had Notre Dame as his #1 and BC as #2 ....he received ND but not BC. He also received his #3 and #7 choice!! He's very excited!
     
  11. clarksonarmy

    clarksonarmy Recruiting Operations Officer at Clarkson Army

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2010
    Messages:
    1,699
    Likes Received:
    450
    typed that before I saw Edu's post. Sounds like the same advice to me.
     
  12. irishfan9

    irishfan9 Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Nd doesn't have ED but I applied to there EA. If I get accepted there all is well because that is my top choice but its a bit stressful month waiting to see if I get in or not. That's a good idea, I'll trying calling in on Monday and see if they can help me or not with admissions.
     
  13. educateme

    educateme Member

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2009
    Messages:
    323
    Likes Received:
    0
    OK. EA is still good, since you will get the decision by Dec 15 or so. You did the right thing in doing EA. (by the way, because of S1, I am very familiar with admissions game played in the top 10 schools and what not, and based on my research, even EA boosts your admissions odds, NOT as much as ED, but still helps).

    Call the school and let them know that you got the scholarship. It may boost your odds. Better yet, call the ROO of the ND battalion. Let them advocate for you. I understand in many cases, the battalion officers do have a chummy relationship with the admissions office. No matter whichever way you look at it, it cannot hurt to have an insider working on your behalf.

    Good luck.
     
  14. aglages

    aglages Parent

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,680
    Likes Received:
    4
    Thank you educateme and dunninla!
    As for driving really big stuff....he is thinking of something with one or more rotors. :wink:
     
  15. The OC Josh

    The OC Josh Member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    Messages:
    478
    Likes Received:
    0
    Congrats Aglages! Good to hear it turned out well for your son!
     
  16. educateme

    educateme Member

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2009
    Messages:
    323
    Likes Received:
    0
    word of caution:

    please note that the status change that includes the list of school is not saying 4 year or 3 year. You don't know which one you got. In popular/expensive schools that my S was interested in, the ratio seems to be for every two 4 year scholarships, there is 1 three year scholarship: at least that was the ratio for the expensive schools on my S's list last year (ALL of his schools were very expensive private schools). You still need that to be confirmed by either calling the PMS or ROO or getting the actual snail mail letter.

    S saw the status change with the schools (the same list he heard from the #4 school PMS). called excited #2 school ROO (the school he wants to pick). The ROO was surprised that the official web page status was changed since he was under a gag order from the CC about not discussing the final results with the candidates. Sheepishly did confirm that S got the 4 year scholarship to his school but made it clear that it's ONLY 95% for sure until the CC allows them to call the scholarship winner officially.
     

Share This Page