Nomination Essays

Discussion in 'Military Academy - USMA' started by Commander_Tyler, Jul 14, 2014.

  1. Commander_Tyler

    Commander_Tyler Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2014
    Messages:
    35
    Likes Received:
    0
    So I'm currently filling out the forms for nominations and I have to type a couple essays. Should I have an intro body and conclusion for these essays or just a body? Thanks everyone!


    Sent using the Service Academy Forums® mobile app
     
  2. Hooah1775

    Hooah1775 Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2011
    Messages:
    146
    Likes Received:
    1
    Tyler - I just sent you PM.
     
  3. MemberLG

    MemberLG Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,807
    Likes Received:
    444
    What's the word limit?

    My two cents, you should always have an introduction, body, and conclusion in an easy. Introduction and conclusion should be 10% each of the word limit. The problems I see with many nomination essays are too much space is devoted to the introduction and not answering the question.

    Example

    Question: Gives reasons why you want to attend a service academy in 250 words or less.

    Intro #1: I want to attend a service academy to [reason #1] and [reason #2] 13 words. 237 words remaining

    Intro #2: President John F. Kennedy once said "Ask what you can do your country, not what your country can do for you." I can serve our country in many different ways, but I believe I can best serve the country by attending a service academy. 44 words. 206 words remaining.

    With intro #2, I am wondering how the writer is going to serve our country by attending a service academy.
     
  4. TheKnight

    TheKnight Class of 2014

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    Messages:
    289
    Likes Received:
    1
    When I did it I saw it as short answer not essays. If you're only given 300 words to answer a question, they don't want an essay they want a detailed answer. So an intro/conclusion could be unnecessary.

    Ultimately, it depends on your writing style/skill level. As long as you answer the question in a way that accurately reflects what you think, you should be fine.

    Some would argue that it's a better intro because that intrigue has drawn you to read the essay further.
     
  5. MemberLG

    MemberLG Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,807
    Likes Received:
    444
    Don't disagree but consider your comment

    Hence my recommendation about limting intro and conclusion to 10% each of overall word count. So if you spend 20% or 30% of your word count to make the essay intriguing, you don't have much maneuver space to finish your essay.

    I am also duty bounded to read the essay regardless if I find it intriguing or not
     

Share This Page