October 2010 AROTC Board Decision

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by montalbanol, Nov 18, 2010.

  1. montalbanol

    montalbanol Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2010
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    My son is anxiously waiting to hear if he has received an AROTC scholarship. He was on the October 2010 Boards. How long does it take to receive notification? And where does the notification go? To him or to the school?

    Thanks,

    Linda
     
  2. gojack

    gojack ....

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    Messages:
    791
    Likes Received:
    2
    Check here: https://schlr4yr.usarmyrotc.com/scholarshipstatus/cadetstatushome.html

    If status reads: "You may check your medical qualification status by visiting the Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board DoDMERB WebSite"

    Then he got a scholarship. If it still reads "you have been selected for an interview..." no scholarship yet.

    If he got selected, he will receive a snail-mail with which schools/ 3 or 4yr scholarship in a week or two. Some schools PMS's will tell you is he was selected, some will not. Ask him to call or email his school choices, no harm no foul.
     
  3. montalbanol

    montalbanol Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2010
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well his status still says "interview". If he does not receive scholarship on this board, does he automatically get put in the next one?

    I'm glad your link worked. We have had issues with the link.
     
  4. cooper1234

    cooper1234 Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2010
    Messages:
    133
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes, they will be rolled over into the next board.
     
  5. gojack

    gojack ....

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    Messages:
    791
    Likes Received:
    2
    oops cross post
     
  6. clarksonarmy

    clarksonarmy Recruiting Operations Officer at Clarkson Army

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2010
    Messages:
    1,699
    Likes Received:
    451
    Before everyone jumps to conclusions...official offer letters will go out from Cadet Command, probably on Monday. Before you go out and buy a new car with the money you saved up for college make sure you receive that letter, and that it is to the school you want to attend. Until you get that letter Cadet Command may have prematurely pushed the DODMERB button, a ROO may have jumped the gun and called you, or you may not have received an offer to the school you had hoped. My guidance as of today is things could change with the board results, and to not call winners until the letters go out. Some of my fellow ROOs obviously didn't get the word, and some of you may be jumping to conclusions.
     
  7. montalbanol

    montalbanol Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2010
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    So just because one school told him they had not seen a scholarship does not mean that he did not get one to one of the other schools?
     
  8. dmlhal15

    dmlhal15 Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2010
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am confused. Has all the first round applicants that have received scholarships had their status page updated to reflect something other than "Interview with PMS" ? We do not want to get our hopes up that we still may be notified for this ARMY board. Thanks!:smile:
     
  9. gojack

    gojack ....

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    Messages:
    791
    Likes Received:
    2
    If you read some of last years postings:
    -some people got letters before their status updated,
    -some had status updated and a letter that said they had a scholarship, but had to pick a new school, all their choices were full.
    -some had status updated, but a 3 yr AD scholarship.
    -and other fine examples of SNAFU, scholarship - but to a school not requested etc.,

    Until a letter is in hand, you are never certain what you got.
    (no letter = work on improving ACT, tweak college choices, etc., wait for next board)
     
  10. dmlhal15

    dmlhal15 Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2010
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    As I mentioned his college choices are #1 Virginia Tech, #2 VMI, #3 Citadel, #4 Norwich and #5 UNH. He has already been accepted to Norwich, and it is a great school that he really likes. He attended their Leadership Challenge Weekend in March. Though he needs the scholarship to be able to afford to go:) When you say "tweak" his college choices, can he change them once he has already put these down on his application?
    This forum has been so helpful...thanks so much!
     
  11. Jcleppe

    Jcleppe Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2010
    Messages:
    5,541
    Likes Received:
    842
    dmlhal15,

    If your son does not recieve an offer this board he can add to, delete, or change the order of his school list before the next board meets. That and updated SAT and ACT scores are the only things you can change. Good Luck
     
  12. soxfn2041

    soxfn2041 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2010
    Messages:
    65
    Likes Received:
    0
    One can change schools of choice as many times as one desires, to the best of my knowledge. I know that I have already updated mine once in light of new feelings towards schools, and I was able to re-submit it with the updates.

    Hope this helps :) best of luck to you with this!
     
  13. montalbanol

    montalbanol Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2010
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    He has already updated his schools and added his Eagle Scout award (which he got at the same time the board met). Can you also update the physical evaluation if the first one could have been better.
     
  14. cjs

    cjs Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Messages:
    668
    Likes Received:
    3
    Reconfirm changes with Cadet Command even though you may see the new schools on line. We learned the hardway and just changing it online die ourselves didnt mean CC or Thr board saw it.
     
  15. cjs

    cjs Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Messages:
    668
    Likes Received:
    3
    So posting from the iPhone changes words... The word die wasn't supposed to be in my last post!
     
  16. philmont

    philmont Member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2010
    Messages:
    223
    Likes Received:
    4
  17. ulysses

    ulysses Member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    Are the Board’s school designations final?

    The October AROTC Board just awarded my DS a scholarship. He is very grateful and honored to have been selected. This is a significant step toward his dream of becoming a career officer. However he could not hide his disappointment when he learned that the scholarship offer is only for his 6th and last choice of schools. Given that this is his state school and the most affordable on the list, I suspect economics played into the Board’s decision. However, after having talked to several ROO’s, I am perplexed by how the October Board determined which schools can honor the scholarship. I know that the process is driven by each applicant’s OML standing (which is based on the whole person score). So applicants at the top of this list get first crack at their schools of choice. And from what I’m seeing on this forum, many are getting multiple schools. Per several ROO’s, each school is allocated so many slots by the first Board; this allocation is a percentage of their total slots (so as not to completely fill up the schools in the first round). As applicants are awarded these slots, some of the schools reach their allotment and “close.” I suspect my DS’s first five schools therefore closed by the time the Board reached his file (though some of the schools may have already “passed” on him before the Board even convened). In any case, here is my question: what recourse, if any, do we have in “trading up” to a school higher on his list? Or is the Board’s decision final and non-negotiable? I ask because it strikes me that those scholarship recipients who received multiple offers will have to turn all but one school down (thus freeing up their slots for future boards). Furthermore, I have to think some percentage will ultimately give up their scholarships for one of the Academies. If in fact there will be open slots at these schools on down the road, I would hope that Cadet Command would give those in the first round some opportunity to fill them (or at least compete for them). If not, then I have to wonder about the equity of this whole process (maybe it would have been better to start high in the second round). So … any insights or suggestions as to how to proceed would be appreciated. Obviously he will accept the scholarship. As I said, it’s an honor and privilege to receive such a coveted scholarship and we are all most grateful. I’m simply trying to understand what options we might have.
     
  18. goaliedad

    goaliedad Parent

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1,601
    Likes Received:
    35
    I'm going to step back and ask you about the advice I gave previously about having a clear decision tree that your son can explain to a ROO/PMS.

    Right now, if the financial issue bears heavily into the schooling decision, his possibilities are WP (depending upon that outcome) and the State U. With that in mind, he should graciously accept the scholarship and make peace with going there as well as celebrate his good fortune of having the scholarship.

    That being said, not getting his hopes up, he should be aware that there may be an opportunity for him to trade in his current scholarship (he must accept it to do this) for an opening at another unit in April (subject to scholarships being returned at a unit). As you mentioned, people do turn in scholarships for a SA appointment or because they were not accepted to X University. I believe in this process (perhaps Clarkson can confirm), the unit has say in which of people on the trade-in list (giving up scholarships at other schools) get first priority on the ones turned in for that unit.

    If this is the practice as stated and he has a school that is a clear cut above in his view (this probably has evolved over the past few months), he should be talking to the ROO at that school to communicate the new decision tree that he faces (example - If WP appointment, accept otherwise trade for scholarship to dream school if available, otherwise happily attend State U). Understand that ROO may not know the status of the accepted scholarship recipients until very late in the game (March or April). If he does a good job of selling himself (might even show up on campus?) to a ROO, he might just get that scholarship that frees up in April. I'm guessing here that he did not have the time (since I gave the original advice) to sell himself to his top choice school(s), as the top 5 didn't necessarily feel the love and #6 had nothing to lose.

    Of course, his top 5 may very well be the most competitive units out there (# of applicants vs. # of scholarships) and he may have lots of competition for even the trade-in scholarships. For example, at many of the SMCs, they have various opportunities for prospective cadets to stay/visit and make an impression. These schools are insanely competitive for scholarships and any returned scholarship (chose a SA) will have plenty of applicants with a history of demonstrated "love" for the institution. My point here is that there are schools where this strategy may work and others not so well.

    In the end (4 years out), he will hopefully be a 2nd Lieutenant, and the Army doesn't care where he enjoyed the previous 4 years. And really, his interests should be in making the most of whatever opportunities present themselves, as he won't necessarily always get his first choice of branch assignments in the Army. This will be a growing up experience for him.
     
  19. educateme

    educateme Member

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2009
    Messages:
    323
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ulyess,

    You hit the nail on the head. This is precisely the scenario I discussed in a separate thread I started a couple of weeks ago, and I believe this explains the reason why my son did not get his #1 choice (though, I actually prefer #2 anyway, and S's preference was shifting to #2 as he learned more about the school and its program). #1 is a very popular school and a very popular battalion, and by the time they put the school list for my son, the #1's quota for this round was probably filled.

    Yes, there is inherent irrationality in that it could very well be the case that during the second round, those with a lower total score may actually get the spot on the school your son, with better qualification, was denied during the first board, which, based on everything I heard/read, is the most competitive board with the high quality applicants.

    So what can you do??? I don't believe your son can be boarded again since he already was awarded a scholarship. I believe the only recourse left is for you is to hope that come April/May, some of the spots will open up due to people changing mind, jumping ship in favor of a service academy, or deciding to join NROTC or AFROTC instead of Army ROTC, or not getting accepted into the school they picked the AROTC scholarship for etc. When the spot opens, they will decide who to take as a replacement. The best your son can do now is to stay in touch with the PMS(s) of the school(s) he is really interested in, and communicate on a regular basis to stay in touch and reaffirm that he really would like to join their battalion.

    Caveat: I am NOT the foremost expert on this board. It's just that this is the scenario I was worrying about and therefore had thought about what my son's options might be in advance. Hence, I am adding my thoughts here.

    One thing I am not sure is, what would happen if you decide not to take the scholarship this round? Does it mean that you will be boarded again? I don't know. But then again, even if you are allowed to do that, there is still NO guarantee and you may even lose the bird in hand. Another open question is, is there a room for a campus scholarship the PMS of a school can award? My S's #2 choice school PMS mentioned that he will pick 2 candidates for the campus scholarship in January. What I don't know is whether the fact that your son was granted a national scholarship will prevent him from being considered for a campus scholarship.

    Either way, if I were you, I would call the PMSs of the schools your son is very interested, and find out what all the options are.

    Good luck.
     
  20. ulysses

    ulysses Member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks!

    Goaliedad & Educateme ... thank you both for your well-reasoned and to-the-point responses. I've already begun to explore the trade option with several schools on my DS's list. The ROO's seem very responsive. Even though it prolongs the process, I think it will be worth the extra effort. Much obliged!
     

Share This Page