Pay for NROTC Summer Cruises?

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by USMAROTCFamily, Dec 23, 2013.

  1. USMAROTCFamily

    USMAROTCFamily Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2013
    Messages:
    630
    Likes Received:
    172
    Do NROTC Scholarship Midshipmen get paid for their 3 summer cruises? If so, how much?
     
  2. Pima

    Pima Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    Messages:
    12,809
    Likes Received:
    956
    I thought that due to budget cuts, NROTC mids no longer do 2 cruises.

    Either way, if they are on orders, the answer is they will pick up the tab for travel, but if it is less than 28 days, they will not get a per diem. Per diem is a set amount. It is taxable.
     
  3. USMCGrunt

    USMCGrunt Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2010
    Messages:
    1,670
    Likes Received:
    814
    You will get reimbursed for travel. Usually mileage to an airport, taxi bills, etc. I don't think food was covered but can't remember if my son was able to submit for reimbursement. The government will pay the airfare and buy the ticket.

    You get paid while under orders on your summer cruise. I think it is at an E4 or E5 rate - but someone more knowledgeable can confirm.
     
  4. jiller59

    jiller59 Member

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Messages:
    191
    Likes Received:
    40
    NROTC midshipman have summer cruise each summer for a total of 3 cruises. Of course this could change at any time, but DS has not heard of any change as of now. DS participated in his 3/C cruise last summer and loved it-confirmed that he wants subs. For a while it was uncertain if all cruises would happen last summer, but they did.

    I think he received around $700 for the 4 week cruise with 80% paid up front and the remaining 20% paid after submitting his report.
     
  5. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,547
    Likes Received:
    1,009
    +1 to USMCGrunt and jiller59. You do get paid for the three summer cruises and travel to and from while under orders is covered as well. Most pay, can't recall percentage but I expect Grunt is correct, is paid up front. There is a bunch of links to summer cruise information here: http://www.nrotc.navy.mil/summer_cruise.aspx

    Keep in mind that only contracted midshipmen attend a summer cruise.
     
  6. Pima

    Pima Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    Messages:
    12,809
    Likes Received:
    956
    I guess that is why I thought it was no longer 3.
     

Share This Page