Plan B?

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by Pachrian, Apr 27, 2009.

  1. Pachrian

    Pachrian Parent

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    Messages:
    174
    Likes Received:
    0
    We've been urging our son to have a plan B in place in case something happens to him between now and I-Day. We were under the impression that it was common practice for kids who plan on going to a SA to register at a civilian college as well.

    Well, our son's GC at school told him that he was not allowed to do that though.

    What does everybody here do, and how do you go about it?
     
  2. bmorris244

    bmorris244 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2009
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have two bros in college, and I thought USNA was the same in that respect; register just for it, tell the others you aren't going there. Plus, you would be paying all those registration fees... Wouldn't you also have to sign up for all your classes, organize housing, etc etc? I thought most colleges wanted that stuff in pretty early on. Just my guesses.
     
  3. Just_A_Mom

    Just_A_Mom Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2006
    Messages:
    4,826
    Likes Received:
    2
    It's not up to the GC.
    If there is a school he has been accepted at and would like to go there - he can pay a deposit and hold his spot.
     
  4. MIDNDAD

    MIDNDAD Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2008
    Messages:
    357
    Likes Received:
    1
    Your GC is an idiot.

    This is not highschool it's college and you will be writing the checks for any Plan B schools to hold a slot. At the moment it's still a free county.

    As far as getting hurt, don't. Bubble wrap and tape are not bad alternatives. Seriously, common sense and staying away from high risk sports or activities should get you to I-Day.

    Best of Luck!
     
  5. jennyp

    jennyp Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Messages:
    828
    Likes Received:
    1
    Agree that your GC is an idiot. Many kids have paid reg fee, housing deposit, etc to multiple universities. Having a plan B is just plain smart.

    We heard of a plebe, who suffered extreme misfortune on I-Day. Seems he got on the bus for the trip across the yard with his duffle full of newly issued gear. And stumbled getting off the bus outside of Bancroft. And broke his ankle.

    Heard he went home, only to have a spot held for him the following year. Also heard of one who got appendicitis right before I-Day.

    Sometimes, bubble wrap just isn't enough.
     
  6. mjcjac

    mjcjac Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2009
    Messages:
    65
    Likes Received:
    0
    Spot held?

    Hi Jenny,
    Are you saying USNA held a spot in the next year's class for the plebe that broke an ankle on the bus? That sounds amzing to me.
    Thanks for your input
     
  7. colorado416

    colorado416 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2009
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Secondary Question...

    What are some of people's backup schools? I really want to get into an academy and I just can't see myself going anywhere else. I will apply to several other colleges just in case but I don't know what I will do if I do not get in....ROTC is always an option but still....:confused:
     
  8. usnahopeful

    usnahopeful USNA Midshipman

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2006
    Messages:
    311
    Likes Received:
    0
    my backups were VMI, Citadel, Norwich (MC option NROTC), and the USMMA. Good luck!
     
  9. Profmom2

    Profmom2 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2007
    Messages:
    322
    Likes Received:
    0
    What your GC is stating is on the acceptance forms many schools have a clause that that states you may not double deposit - put money down on two schools. In reality you are not double depositing as there is no deposit required to hold your spot at USNA.

    You basically have two choices - call the Plan B school - state the reasons why you would like to hold the spot - offer to let them know by IDay and see if they will work with you. The risk is that they will tell you to take a hike. Some will work with you and be very understanding and others will actually let you deposit and hold the spot longer than I Day.

    Second choice is just send the money, then just prior to IDay, send notification that you will not be attending. They can think what ever they want - you could not afford it, you got off the waitlist of another school etc... You lose the deposit - typically about $500.00 but IMO that is a great insurance policy.

    Your GC is protecting themselves, their and your school's reputation with your Plan B's schools. Trust me they are not thinking of you. Our Mids HS GC stated the same thing. We met with her - let her know that he was not double depositing, and that this was a private matter and not for her to make judgement on. GC sent final transcripts to both schools and stayed out of it.
     
  10. LineInTheSand

    LineInTheSand USCGA 2006

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    Messages:
    8,747
    Likes Received:
    1,002
    I thought a local school was a nice safety school. My first interview was at Vanderbilt University. My father works there, and it's in my city so I was comfortable with it. Some other civilian schools... Wash. U., Auburn, UNC Chapel Hill, U. of Miami..etc.

    You want to vary the schools a bit, you know safety schools and some harder ones.... Vandy, Auburn and UNC all were NROTC scholarship schools.

    All of these were in addition to USCGA, USMMA, and USNA. I luckily got my first choice, had a near injury in soccer, by made it through the summer alive, through Swab Summer and throw four years at CGA.
     
  11. Pachrian

    Pachrian Parent

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    Messages:
    174
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you for all the input!

    I think it is very harsh to call the GC an idiot. She's a very nice young lady, very helpful and responsive, she just never had a student get into a SA. It's new territory for her too and she was simply mistaken.

    Profmom, thank you for explaining it all so clearly. My son will send a deposit in this week.
     
  12. wahoo84

    wahoo84 Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2008
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    We've had many a discussion on this in our home and ultimately decided to pay a deposit at an in-state university that offers a solid engineering program should there be any accidents prior to I-Day.
    While son's grades are good, no trouble with the law, and he's in great shape, no one can predict an accident. Like Profmom, after much debate, we are looking at the deposit as more of an insurance policy. Overall, given the estimated value of a SA, it's pocket change.
    I'd look at the GC with a different light given our experience with son's GC. In our case, the GC was very nice, seemed to be knowledgable of apps to in-state 'normal' colleges but didn't seem to have a clue about Service Academies. Our high school has only been around since 2003 and my son and a friend of his were the first SA applicants they'd had. In our case, I think it was just a lack of experience in dealing with SA apps and no one in-school to turn to for advice.
     
  13. greeneagle5

    greeneagle5 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Messages:
    301
    Likes Received:
    15
    backup school

    :thumb: Plan B is ALWAYS a smart idea... my case in point :

    12/07 - S receives his appointment to USNA
    3/08 - S accepts appt. to USNA after his official CVW
    4/08 - S developed mononucleosis..was successfully treated by family DR
    5/08 - DoDMERB requests follow-up exam due to illness
    6/08 - DoDMERB medically"DQ"s S due to an enlarged spleen

    The "Plan B" state university started to look like our main(and only) option by mid-June( we had paid all initial registration and dorm fees)...but thanks to Larry Mullen's (DoDMERB forum on here)immediate advice, assistance and personal attention S was granted a medical waiver by the Supt and reported to I-day July /2008.:thumb:
     
  14. baseballmom09

    baseballmom09 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    0
    Deposits

    We had to send in 2 deposits for my sons the other day as emergency backups for the USNA. It wasn't the cost of the deposits that bothered me, but both boys rec'd full scholarships, so I feel like we are taking money away from others. The baseball coach from that college is also calling them and making plans, so they will have to tell him the truth that they are just using the college as an emergency backup. I do know of parents who send in multiple deposits just to get more time to make the college decision, but it really bothers me doing this. We plan on notifying the college on July 1 after they report for I-Day. Just doesn't feel right...
     
  15. firemanvin

    firemanvin Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2008
    Messages:
    71
    Likes Received:
    0
    Interesting thing however; here is a direct quote from my son’s Certificate of Acceptance / Declination letter:

    “NOTICE: This certificate must be received in our office by May 1 or within one week of receipt, whichever is later. If you have already accepted another institution, please advise that school immediately if you decide to accept the Naval Academy.”

    So, this means if you choose to send in the deposit for a “plan B school”, you must inform them of your USNA status, or you will be in violation of the terms of the Certificate of Acceptance / Declination letter.

    Food for thought.
     
  16. baseballmom09

    baseballmom09 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    0
    Inform the Plan B school

    I'm wondering if we should place a call with admissions at USNA and get their opinion
     
  17. simpse01

    simpse01 Member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    Son has NROTC and AROTC scholarship offers for 3 other colleges. We had thought about putting down multiple deposits as a Plan B, but saw the notice that firemanvin is referring to. (and admittedly, it doesn't feel "right".) We are going to decline them based on his accepting his appointment at USNA. So we will pray very hard that he stays healthy!

    I'm wondering though, if something were to happen, does anyone knows if we can decline an ROTC scholarship and then get it back... ??
     
  18. Just_A_Mom

    Just_A_Mom Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2006
    Messages:
    4,826
    Likes Received:
    2
    If "something" were to happen -
    if you were accepted to a college and turned down the offer, you may find a warm welcome back, even if you didn't reserve your spot. At some schools it depends on housing and if they will have room for you. In some cases if they can't get you in for the fall they can get you in for second semester.

    There was a New Cadet last summer without a back up plan. In July "something" happened. She called her GC who made some phone calls for her. Because of her exceptional high school record she was quickly accepted to a very nice university that utilizes a waiting list. She applied in July and started in August.

    If you reject Harvard or Princeton, they may not take you back but many other schools will.

    I have also heard of schools holding spots for SA kids just in case "something" happens.

    Scholarship question - I believe that an AROTC scholarship will be retrievable. You will probably have to jump through some hoops. Keep in mind the APFT will need to be passed during the first semester for the tuition to be paid.

    I can't comment on an NROTC scholarship.
     
  19. bmorris244

    bmorris244 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2009
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    0
    I applied for and received an NROTC Marine Option Scholarship, and applied to Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Cornell, Rice, and Notre Dame under the scholarship. I would highly, highly recommend Tx A&M, if I didn't get into USNA I would totally be going there.
     
  20. jennyp

    jennyp Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Messages:
    828
    Likes Received:
    1
    Texas A&M is my son's back up plan as well. He declined the NROTC scholarship, however we have paid housing deposit. The forms for TAMU all stated that they wished to be notified in writing if plans changed. He typed up three letters: one for housing dept, one for admissions, one for engineering, telling them he was at USNA and was respectfully declining to attend TAMU. Dated July 1. Which will be mailed once plebe summer is underway.

    He was offered an interview for a $15,000 scholarship, they even understood that if he was awarded the scholarship in early June, he would be turning it back to attend USNA. However, we discussed it and decided to pass on it now which allows someone else an interview slot.

    Read last year where some family's keep Plan B in place until Plebe Summer is over, just in case plebe washes out. We will not be doing that.
     

Share This Page