Running out of time.

Discussion in 'Air Force Academy - USAFA' started by MilitaryBrat451, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MilitaryBrat451

    MilitaryBrat451 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2016
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    1
    hello, so I am currently a class of 2020 hopeful and I'm in a bit of predicament. So currently I am waiting to hear back from USAFA . I finished my application mid November and have not heard anything. However, I have heard back from West Point. They offered me an appointment in early February. The deadline to accept is April 15. I am worried that once I accept it , the USAFA will be out of he question even if they appoint me? And I don't know how much longer I should wait because I don't want to default on the appointment and end up getting a TWE from USAFA. I am not sure how many appointments are left at USAFA but from what I understand there are not many ? Any recommendations on what to do or information would be appreciated.
     
    mom4boys likes this.
  2. Next Generation

    Next Generation Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2016
    Messages:
    129
    Likes Received:
    137
    I am not an admissions officer, but this is what I've pieced together from other threads. IF you are committed to serving and would rather serve through the Army than wait another year for the Air Force, give it until April 15 and then accept USMA. IF you do receive a later appointment from USAFA, you CAN then decline USMA. The academies know there will be people who decline after acceptance, who simply don't show up to report in, and people who drop during that first week. Not the ideal for anyone involved, but the SAs have planned for this. Again, this is what I'm piecing together.
     
  3. NavyHoops

    NavyHoops Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Messages:
    3,083
    Likes Received:
    2,435
    Couple of options. Wait until the 15th to commit and see if USAFA comes in. If come the 14th and you call USAFA and no response, call USMA and ask for a 2 week extension. Or, you can accept USMA and decline if USAFA comes in. Still a few days away from the 15th. Hold on another week.
     
    MilitaryBrat451 likes this.
  4. katwswim

    katwswim Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2016
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    114
    I know someone who wanted AFA and got a TWE the NA gave him an appointment, so he accepted, while arriving there the AFA called him and offered him an appointment, he called his dad and asked for advice, because he was liking NA, his dad said what are your dreams, what's important to you? He wanted to be a pilot... So he left NA, went to AFA and became a pilot, this is many years ago, he is retired now. Don't give up on your dream of SA take whats before you and then if the other comes in take it.
     
    LesakUSAFA likes this.
  5. Karen359

    Karen359 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2015
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    11
    My DS is in the same predicament. He accepted USMA and is going forward with that. however, he just got an email from MOC that our district for USAFA has not been decided due to him and one other candidate being virtually identical. So the MOC asked what he should do? This was the response:

    The student should accept the offer from West Point and if the AF Academy offers them later then they can decline WP if that happens.
     
  6. 1mom

    1mom Member

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    Messages:
    201
    Likes Received:
    117
    You're are in a better position than most who are still waiting. At least you have received one appointment . It is to your advantage to accept USMA offer on the 15th, if you have not heard from USAFA just in case. Is is better than not accepting it and ending up not getting an offer from USAFA.
     
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  7. TaskMaster

    TaskMaster New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2016
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    My DS is reapplying for second year. He has Noms for AFA and NA and is still CPR at both. He has been offered AFROTC scholarship at his current university. Commit for ROTC was in May. Early this week he received notification he has to commit by 6April so they can reallocate slot to another cadet. Apparently he can not get an extension. Any knowledge on whether he can commit and wait to see what happens with his SA possibilities? He is really wrestling with this over the past week.
     
  8. Insider

    Insider Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2012
    Messages:
    188
    Likes Received:
    62
    I call tell you that the Admissions offices for each Academy absolutely do not share appointment data. Accepting an appointment to one academy in no way jeopardizes your chances at be accepted to another one. Also, accepting an appointment is not binding in any way, and you may decline an offer after already accepting.

    My advice to you is to immediately accept the USMA offer (if that is indeed your second choice). This will not affect USAFA's consideration of your status in any way. Should USAFA then offer you an appointment you are free to call USMA and decline. In short, there is no need to risk missing the USMA deadline.

    Insider
     
  9. katwswim

    katwswim Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2016
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    114
    ZNo expecting to hear any day, we know many have gone out and now we wait for those who decline and any empty slots left, can go all the way up to end of May. But most will hear this month if they are rejected. Waiting is hard but it has its positive too, once your in and going through basic and things get really hard, she can look back and remember how badly she wanted this.
     
  10. Rosesarerad

    Rosesarerad Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2016
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    28
    I've been feeling stressed out since the 1st of April because Im also facing this same predicament with appointments from West Point and the Coast Guard Academy, but crickets from my top choice USAFA. Hoping to hear some good news this week or the following.
     
  11. katwswim

    katwswim Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2016
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    114
    It's kind of weird, we are waiting for people to turn down their offer for AFA and there's people waiting for people who have appointments to West Point and Cost Guard to turn down theirs.... Must be the nature of the beast..... :biggrin::biglaugh::bang:
     
    1mom likes this.
  12. Insider

    Insider Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2012
    Messages:
    188
    Likes Received:
    62
    Honestly, USAFA doesn't wait for appointees to "turn down appointments" in order to make additional offers. I assume that neither do West Point or Annapolis. We have enough historical data that predicting acceptance rate is relatively easy and the academies simply base their target number of offers on the desired class size.

    What I'm saying is don't be pressured to turn down an offer from a plan B school in order to open up a slot for someone else -- it simply doesn't work that way. Hold on to all your offers until the last possible minute, and accept any that you need to before the deadline (even if you ultimately wind up declining after the fact). This includes offers to civilian schools, and even making non-refundable deposits to hold housing. It's cheap insurance compared to the value of an academy education.

    Insider
     
  13. katwswim

    katwswim Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2016
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    114
    I absolutely agree with this, that's why above I posted accept any offer and in the end take what your desired location is... But I'm glad to hear that USAFA doesn't wait for people to turn down appointments, That is not how I understood it, but like I've said many times I'm new to all of this. DD still waiting to hear.
     

Share This Page