The Back-Up Plan

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by NewNavyMom, Feb 23, 2010.

  1. NewNavyMom

    NewNavyMom Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    I can use some advice in the Back-Up Plan. Son has appointment to USNA. He also has a NROTC scholarship to state military college. We made the deposit to secure his spot there and he accepted the NROTC as well, both before the appointment even arrived, knowing that he needed a back-up plan anyway. The back-up school has him set up for CVW and a scholarship/honors program interview. Son doesn't want to go to the CVW there now and feels a bit deceptive going on the interview asking for money (to cover room and board which NROTC doesn't cover) and for entrance into Honors Program. Feels he may snag another student's potential spot. At the same time, he knows he needs the back-up plan in case, as my husband says, he stubs his toe.

    How far do we go with this back-up plan? What are the rest of you doing at this point? When we were visiting the state military school I mentioned this back-up plan to someone in admissions and they didn't like the sound of it at all. Son was up front with them that he was hoping for an appointment to the academy. The NROTC Lt has called the house a few times to talk to him. Son hasn't been here but I am sure that he will be at some point soon.

    This is an weird situation to be in. It's great to have choices, don't get me wrong. I don't care about losing the $300.00 deposit. As someone said in another post, it's like college insurance. It's the leading the other school on part that is awkward.

    I'd love to hear what others are doing.
     
  2. Stage4survivor

    Stage4survivor Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2009
    Messages:
    113
    Likes Received:
    0
    Never one to express the "politically correct" view, I think this young man has more integrity than his parents.
     
  3. NewNavyMom

    NewNavyMom Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    What does that mean? You think he should let the school go? What if he gets injured and can't attend the academy? Everyone says to have a back-up plan. I am full of integrity, otherwise this wouldn't bother me. I asked for advice. Does that mean you think we should not hold a spot? Even the BGO told us to have the back-up plan.
     
  4. Pachrian

    Pachrian Parent

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    Messages:
    174
    Likes Received:
    0
    NewNavyMom, I agree with you, this has nothing to do with integrity. I applaud your son on his position, it is noble, but you are correct, you need to plan for what-ifs.
     
  5. PositiveThinking

    PositiveThinking Member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    Messages:
    333
    Likes Received:
    2
    From the NROTC Scholarship Selection Packet sent to those who receive scholarships this year:
    p.3 General Scholarship Information
    "Your acceptance of this scholarship nomination does not obligate you to attend the NROTC Program. You may change your mind and decline your scholarship at any point until school begins." No mention of lack of integrity if you choose to do so. :rolleyes:
     
  6. Stage4survivor

    Stage4survivor Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2009
    Messages:
    113
    Likes Received:
    0
    My understanding of a "back-up plan" is you aren't accepted to your preferred choice.
    Didn't he express concerns about not being entirely forthcoming at CVW? Didn't he express similar concerns that he may be delaying another candidates offer?
    What if he becomes injured? Then decline USNA and go the ROTC route.
    This is my view only, I'm a big boy, I'll take the "heat" from those that disagree. You asked for opinions, this is mine.

    S4S
     
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  7. 1964BGO

    1964BGO Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2009
    Messages:
    923
    Likes Received:
    16
    And, as a NROTC counselor once stated, "...the important thing is where your son shows up on I-Day. If it is one of the SAs, we fully understand and wish him the best..."
     
  8. jennyp

    jennyp Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Messages:
    828
    Likes Received:
    1
    Keep your back up plan in place. They will award the scholarships, etc to someone else. We kept ours til a few days after I-Day last summer. We were up front with the school (Texas A&M) all along. I got the impression that some people who are in your position (scholarships, etc already awarded)do not even bother to tell the school that they have decided to go somewhere else. They just don't show up.

    Some keep their back up plan all the way through plebe summer. Just in case junior doesn't make it. (FYI: 15 of 1251 went home last summer before plebe summer was complete) We knew son would do fine, just wanted to make sure he got checked in at I-Day in one piece. Things do happen. A young man from our town got part way through the summer (beast? I don't kmow what they call it) at AFA when he came down with kidney stones. He missed 17 days, they sent him home and held a spot for next year. Heard a story of a kid who fell, literally off the bus, during I-Day (after initial processing, they are bussed to Bancroft with their gear bag full of uniforms, etc from Alumni Hall).....anyway, he busted his ankle and could not continue.

    Your kids have earned the right to have choices at this point. That scholarship money will be awarded to another deserving individual when your child is safely asleep in Mother B.

    Before you think we are totally lacking in integrity, he did not complete the application for a Texas 4-H scholarship, which likely would have netted son another $12,000 even though they were ok with him accepting the award and then heading to USNA (scholarship good only in Texas.) Sat at the awards ceremony and felt good about what he had done.

    Now, on the other hand, what if one of the big "what ifs" did happen? And you had let your back up plan go...........all is not lost. You could contact State U or wherever and try to get in. Or attend community college focusing on plebe like classes and be ready to attend USNA the following year. You wouldn't be able to get some scholarships "back" if you'd let them go however.
     
  9. FeartheGoat

    FeartheGoat Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2009
    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    0
    NewNavyMom,
    I am doing exactly what your son is doing. I applied to the Academy and for NROTC scholarships at Texas A&M, University of Texas, and the Citadel. If I get one of those scholarships you better believe I will accept it, if I haven't heard from USNA first. If your son has been awarded an NROTC scholarship take it, there is nothing wrong with it. It's all about competition, and even if your son declines it after hearing from the Academy, they can always give it to someone else.
     
  10. singaporemom

    singaporemom Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    884
    Likes Received:
    6
    My son's in the same boat and trying to decide what to do. He has AROTC, AFROTC (type 1), and NROTC scholarships and just received appointment to USNA. He also has full rides to 2 schools without ROTC.

    He's going to make THE decision once the USNA paperwork arrives, and then I'm thinking he'll let go of the Army scholarship. The AFROTC is not school specific and he hasn't been accepted into the qualifying schools yet, so that will be next. Once/If the AFROTC and NROTC school acceptances come in he'll then get down to one scholarship with one school.

    NROTC scholarship states that he cannot be enrolled in aother program for even 1 day and still be eligible for the NROTC scholarship.... am I reading into that if he gets injured or quits Plebe summer then he cannot use the NROTC as a backup plan?

    So....should backup plan, once he goes to I-Day, only be the civilian school with the civilian scholarships?......Figure he can then sign up for ROTC when he gets there.

    Lot of pieces to move around. And when you think you'll get one scholarship and into one school...and then end up with all of these choices, it's a bit overwhelming for a 17 year old. Son is slowly processing this all and taking the time to make the right decision.
     
  11. USNA

    USNA Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    2
    Dive right in! Go with the USNA, and give the ROTC scholarships to deserving students.

    Think of this as hanging onto the Gold and Bronze prized medals, but you can only leave with one. I can understand waiting a couple of weeks, but I wouldn't hold out much more than that. My son spun the plates of 4 service academies and two ROTC scholarships. After receiving appointments from the 2 of his most desired academies, he let the ROTC scholarships go. In these tough economic times, an ROTC scholarship could make the difference in whether a young man or woman could even afford to go to college.

    Your son will eventually have to let go and grab what he really wants. As for "stubbing his toe", I hate to tell you this, but a dear young lady from my son's company left USNA a couple of weeks ago because of a bad back. Yet, a young man who required brain surgery, to remove a benign tumor, was permitted to stay. (If in a car accident, USNA requires mids to have a CT scan. This tumor was discovered by divine providence. He remains at USNA following brain surgery!)

    There are no guarantees in life. Move toward the light.
     
  12. singaporemom

    singaporemom Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    884
    Likes Received:
    6
    Son did not expect the appointment, so I think he's in shock...but starting to come around. He just recovered from a broken collarbone (5 mos of no exercise) and just finished his CFA....week later he has the appointment. I think once he's digested it, the plan will move quickly. His AROTC PMS wants him to go to his college, but his advice is to take USNA. And free up his out of state scholarship as soon as he's ready. Once the paperwork comes, then he'll do that.

    As adults we can see the big picture, know what certain paths will bring. We tell our kids to make their own decisions but we want them to hurry up and do it. Let them take a bit of time to process all that is going on. Son is aware of the fact that the scholarship needs to be freed up....but just knowing about USNA for only a few days....he needs some time to weigh his options.

    I'm sure the scholarship boards know that many kids apply and receive more than one scholarship and or SA. It's gotta be factored in to their numbers. I think all the apps asked if they were applying for another ROTC program, I know all of his interviewers asked.
     
  13. USNA

    USNA Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    2
    Singaporemom, I'll send you a PM.
     
  14. 2012mom?

    2012mom? Member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    2
    IMO, it is not a bit dishonest to keep an ROTC backup plan in place. DD had an NROTC scholarship and other scholarships to a state school, even though USNA was the only place she wanted to be. Once the blue folder arrived, we explained to the school's NROTC officer that she would accept her appointment, but we did not officially decline her spot at State U until the day after I-day. Look at it this way: if DS/DD sprains an ankle walking around Annapolis on I-day minus one, wouldn't you want them to be able to do a year at State U on an NROTC scholarship before they either continue at State U or start at USNA? Keeping an ROTC scholarship until I-day +1 does not keep someone else from using the scholarship in the way that not showing up for I-day or leaving on I-day (or I-day + 1, etc) keeps someone else from gaining an appointment.

    wrt to questions in earlier posts:
    Yes, an NROTC scholarship is void once they take their oath on I-day (probably when they walk in to Alumni Hall).
     
  15. singaporemom

    singaporemom Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    884
    Likes Received:
    6
    My son and I talked about all the scenarios that could happen between now and I-day +/- one. He felt that he should keep one ROTC scholarship until the oath, realease it that day, and then hold on to one school until plebe summer is over. He'll release his other two scholarships once he gets his USNA paperwork.


    hmmmmm......sound like he's leaning towards accepting his appointment.....:smile:
     
  16. NewNavyMom

    NewNavyMom Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for all the input. It helps just knowing that there are many struggling with the same thing! Going into the college application process my son said "I want to have options." He certainly has them!:smile:
     
  17. falconchic88

    falconchic88 Member

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Messages:
    864
    Likes Received:
    176
    NewNavyMom, I sent you a PM.
    And Singaporemom-after all your son has gone thru, I think thats a great plan!
    These kids have worked extremely hard to be in the position to have these choices!
     
  18. HappyCamper

    HappyCamper Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2010
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    We're hoping to hear from the Academy soon, but we absolutely plan on holding on to our son's scholarship to Auburn just in case. I think it's the smart thing to do.
     
  19. harmi

    harmi Member

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2009
    Messages:
    195
    Likes Received:
    0
    We are not here to question ANYONE'S intergrity...Who are we to judge??? This is a forum for advice, support and information...don't judge anyone until you walk in their shoes, and even then...think twice....PLEASE!!! :frown:
     
  20. singaporemom

    singaporemom Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    884
    Likes Received:
    6

Share This Page