Timing of Accepting Appointment Offer

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by MsMom, Feb 17, 2011.

  1. MsMom

    MsMom New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am hoping some of the voices of experience can help us out here...

    My son (who received an appointment offer in mid-January) had decided to go to a CVW in March. (Although his decision to apply was not of especially long standing, his parents think that there is about a 100% chance that he will accept!)

    Then he got a call from his BGO. We only heard one side of the conversation, but the upshot was that my son came running in rather alarmed with the signed acceptance and looking for his birth certificate. His understanding was that he had to accept and send it back ASAP. He also said that the BGO indicated that the signed acceptance was "non-binding"?! Now we thought that he had until the end of April, at least..? Why would the BGO be urging him so strongly to accept now?

    Since the USNA is a such a committment, it seems like he should go through the CVW at least before accepting. He was originally intending on handing in the signed acceptance on-site, after the visit. . Am I missing something here? Would appreciate any insights...
     
  2. usna1985

    usna1985 USNA Alumnus

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    4,511
    Likes Received:
    461
    I must say I've never heard of this. It's my understanding that appointed candidates have until May 1 (or maybe it's May 15) to inform USNA of their decision.

    I suppose that, at some level, the decision to accept is "non-binding" in that, if you don't show up or quit on I-Day, they won't send the sheriff after you or impose monetary damages. That said, if you accept, USNA expects you to show up.
     
  3. usnacandidate12

    usnacandidate12 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes, the final day to accept an Appointment is May 1st
     
  4. Whistle Pig

    Whistle Pig Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    1,634
    Likes Received:
    1
    I wonder if that BGO's tent-making might be selling GM cars ...

    Bless his heart, probably just wants to make sure his efforts count for a candidate!
     
  5. Gooche

    Gooche New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Your DS has until May 1st to accept the appointment. Have your son attend the CVW to reinforce his decision on whether the Naval Academy is right for him. For now take a deep breathe you still have plenty of time.
     
  6. usna1985

    usna1985 USNA Alumnus

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    4,511
    Likes Received:
    461
    Providing inaccurate information to candidates is not the way to go about it.

    And, just so everyone knows, BGOs aren't like military recruiters. We don't have "quotas" nor are we "graded" or "ranked," etc. It's a volunteer job. While many BGOs put their heart and soul into that job and very much want to see their candidates succeed, we suffer no adverse consequences if none of our candidates receive or accept appointments, nor do we get any "bonus points" if we are incredibly successful in getting people to attend.
     
  7. MsMom

    MsMom New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you all so much for the insights...I thought it might have been well-intentioned "encouragement" on the part of the BGO. But very had to argue with already over-stressed adolescents...

    Will continue with original intention of acceptance, after CVW!
     
  8. osdad

    osdad Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2010
    Messages:
    747
    Likes Received:
    28
    Before heading to CVW a year ago, DD agreed to "sleep on it for a few days" after returning to decide. We were hardly across the Preston Lane bridge when she said: "I know I said I'd give it time but I've decided. I'm going to the NA!"

    I hope your's has the same experience. :thumb:
     
  9. MIHOSER

    MIHOSER Member

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2009
    Messages:
    302
    Likes Received:
    17
    My son sent in his acceptance as soon as we returned home from his CVW.
     
  10. Profmom2

    Profmom2 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2007
    Messages:
    322
    Likes Received:
    0
    My son received his appointment in October and waited until end of March to send in his acceptance. We encouraged him to wait so that he had all of the information - other school acceptances and scholarships - "on the table" in order to make a sound decision.
     
  11. fishbowl

    fishbowl Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2010
    Messages:
    163
    Likes Received:
    0
    If your DS attends CVW and it cements his decision that USNA is right for him, send in the acceptance, but there is no need to rush. There are other considerations, like majors offered at USNA compared to civilian colleges, desire to serve, cost, etc. My now-Plebe sent in the acceptance in mid-April even though BGO had made same non-binding argument upon appointment in January last year. However, if DS accepts and then decides later to change his mind, please do so at least a couple of weeks before I-Day so that the academy can put someone else in his slot - there will be no shortage of terrific candidates.
     
  12. singaporemom

    singaporemom Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    884
    Likes Received:
    6
    Remember, you only heard one side of the conversation. At this point in their lives, our kids may hear only part of what is said...or interpret it differently than as intended.

    My DS received offer of appointment in February last year and the unsigned paper sat on the counter for 2 weeks. He had all 3 ROTC scholarships in hand and 6 schools to decide from. For two weeks DS retreated and we hardly talked to him or saw much of him. but when he signed those papers he was truly happy. he had made his own decision.

    No one pressured him to sign, and maybe a family meeting with the BGO would be helpful. These are 17/18 year olds making a monumental decision. It is best to be a thoughtful decision, because then there is a better chance that they will succeed.

    Good luck!
     
  13. time2

    time2 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    270
    Regardless of whether your son misintrepreted what he heard or the BGO stated something incorrectly, the facts are that he has until May 1 to reply to his offer of appointment. He should take his time and reply when the time is right for him.
     

Share This Page