VMI statement of decision

Discussion in 'Publicly and Privately Funded Military Colleges' started by Jarhead1775, Jan 19, 2014.

  1. Jarhead1775

    Jarhead1775 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2012
    Messages:
    147
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi all,

    I received my appointment to the Virginia Military Institute in December and read that on the letter that came with the appointment that I need to turn in my admissions reservation packet no later than 15 February 2014. As a USNA and USMA candidate, I don't expect to hear from them by then. Also, I need to visit Norwich and the Citadel before I can make a decision. I can't make this decision to attend VMI yet. What do you advise that I do?

    Thank you so much.
     
  2. Strength and Honor

    Strength and Honor Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2013
    Messages:
    614
    Likes Received:
    28
    Call Admissions and see if there's any way you can have the deadline extended.

    What I thought was that the February 15 rule only applies to those who applied ED (which I'm assuming you didn't). If you DID apply ED, then welcome to VMI, you don't have much of a choice haha! But yeah, call admissions and explain.
     
  3. bruno

    bruno Retired Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2008
    Messages:
    3,001
    Likes Received:
    301
    You have no need to call admissions- all you need to do is Accept and then if your USMA appointment comes thru- send VMI a letter saying that you have been Appointed to USMA and will not be reporting in the summer to VMI. Since you have to report to USMA more than a month prior to reporting to VMI- even if you wait until you report to West Point , VMI will have time to offer acceptance to someone on the deferred list if they wish. But if you don't accept now- you are closing out your spot at VMI with nothing in hand from West Point- bad move.
     
  4. Jarhead1775

    Jarhead1775 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2012
    Messages:
    147
    Likes Received:
    0
    What about if I find that I wish to attend the Citadel or Norwich? Should I do the same thing?
     
  5. bruno

    bruno Retired Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2008
    Messages:
    3,001
    Likes Received:
    301
    Look- there is a difference between waiting on an SA appointment and not being able to make up your mind between multiple colleges. You can ask for an extension from the VMI admissions office but -what have you been doing since last year at this time that you still haven't visited 2 of the 3 colleges you applied to? At some point you have to make a choice- By Feb 15th you will have had a lot of time to decide what you want to do- if I was in the Admissions office I would tell you- "well good luck but we are not guaranteeing you will have a slot if you can't decide".
     
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  6. VMI82

    VMI82 Room 131

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2013
    Messages:
    154
    Likes Received:
    6
    Call Admissions at VMI and ask them, point blank, what they can do with your deadline. Be honest and tell them what is in your heart. If they cannot extend your deadline then you will have to 'pick a lane.' - i.e., decide on bird in hand vs an academy in a bush.

    VMI Admissions officers are not weak knee'd - they know many prefer USNA or USMA (though that personally escapes me :smile: ) and that many choose a SMC as a backup plan.

    Being direct & forthright should impress them if I know them (and I do) as a sign of maturity and as qualities VMI would desire in a cadet - even if VMI is a 2nd choice.

    I can share with you that I had Brother Rats who used VMI as a springboard and leapt to USMA after our Rat year. I also had BR's that used VMI as a 2nd choice but once there decided they had lucked out and were in the 'right place' for them.

    My personal belief is each of the choices you list will get you to where you want to go - IF (and that is a big IF) IF you do the work.

    It is not where you start (school) it is where you finish (your accomplishments in the Services)

    Final thought: VMI Admissions will understand if you have a strong preference for USNA and VMI is 2nd ... but a 'shotgun' approach wanting to be accepted by all and THEN DECIDING would probably convey poorly.

    Look in your heart, decide what Schools you want in which order - and then work your plan.

    You may have to make some difficult decisions (letting a VMI admission lapse to wait for a possible USNA)

    If so, welcome to the 'Big Leagues'
     
  7. VMI82

    VMI82 Room 131

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2013
    Messages:
    154
    Likes Received:
    6
    +100 Bruno :thumb:

    by time i posted my 1st post others had replied and you went on about N'wich and Citadel

    my gut tells me you are trying to play the field instead of picking a lane

    if i could i'd retract my (too long) post above and concur 100% with Bruno

    pick a direction and stick with it
     
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  8. Jarhead1775

    Jarhead1775 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2012
    Messages:
    147
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you very much forte replies. I honesty regret that I haven't visited my other choices but VMI is still my 1st choice behind a SA. I just don't want to wonder if I would be happier somewhere else. Honestly, I'll be happy and successful anywhere. I'm going to accept my appointment to VMI, and decline only to USNA/USMA.
     
  9. glen

    glen Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2010
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    70
    To Jarhead1775

    Not a VMI grad, but I would call the admissions office tell them you appreciate the acceptance, but waiting on one of the service academies - my guess is they will put you on a pile of similar applicants and honor your acceptance if you are not admitted to a federal academy. Not so sure about Norwich or The Citadel - almost sure you will get the answer someone else suggested - good luck but we will not hold your slot while you take a road trip.
     
  10. Mastergunz

    Mastergunz Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2012
    Messages:
    31
    Likes Received:
    0
    It sounds like you applied early decision. MY DS received his letter about a week before you did but it did not have a Feb decision date. He applied regular decision. Good luck. I agree with everyone else.
     
  11. Strength and Honor

    Strength and Honor Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2013
    Messages:
    614
    Likes Received:
    28
    Jarhead: If you applied ED, you either have to attend VMI or attend a service academy. The only way to "get out" of the VMI ED commitment is to accept an appointment to a service academy.
     
  12. Jarhead1775

    Jarhead1775 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2012
    Messages:
    147
    Likes Received:
    0
    And I plan on attending VMI now. I originally applied ED but then wanted to change it to regular. I sent multiple emails and placed several phone calls wanting to change it with no avail. Either way, I will be in Lexington next year unless Annapolis makes it happen for me.
     
  13. Pickle

    Pickle Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2014
    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    2
    I received my acceptance letter yesterday but did not apply for Early Decision. Am I also in the same boat or is there a different deadline to accept my appointment?

    I suppose I will read about this once I receive the big envelope within these next two weeks containing all of the paperwork that I need to turn in before I am truly accepted.
     
  14. ca2midwestmom

    ca2midwestmom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    1,275
    Likes Received:
    178
    If you applied regular decision, you'll probably need to respond by 01 MAY (it will be in the letter with the paperwork). My DS received his info about 1 week after the red folder/appointment.
     
  15. degli

    degli Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2013
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    0
    MY DS's packet says May 1st.......
     

Share This Page