Weighting of math vs. english scores

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by pilot2b, Jan 2, 2012.

  1. pilot2b

    pilot2b Candidate Appointee

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2011
    Messages:
    311
    Likes Received:
    1
    I just got back my Dec. ACT results the other day, which have also been sent to USNA. I got a 31 composite (27 science, 27 math, 33 english, and 35 reading). I've seen on these forums people repeatedly state that USNA will weight the math section more than the english section for the ACT. Can anyone tell me how much more the math is weighted than the english?
     
  2. Whistle Pig

    Whistle Pig Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    1,634
    Likes Received:
    1
    While dated, last official figures I recall seeing had 18% for math score, 10% for verbal.
     
  3. crair70

    crair70 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Messages:
    257
    Likes Received:
    0
    WP- so would I bet safe to assume from your post the 28% of scholastic qualification is sat/act and the remaining 72% gpa, rank, recommendations, ec, BGO interview....?
     
  4. eagleone

    eagleone Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2011
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    0
  5. usnabgo08

    usnabgo08 USNA 2008/BGO

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    Messages:
    1,826
    Likes Received:
    591
    The WPM is of no use until 3Q with a nomination. The Admissions Board doesn't qualify candidates strictly on the WPM, it is an entering argument on whether the candidate should be qualified. After that, depending on competition from the nominating source, WPM may or may not be the sole factor. Trying to say that academics are XX% of the WPM, in most senses doesn't really matter (and if it did, no one knows where he/she stands).

    Worrying about the WPM is of no use. The WPM can't quantify all subjective factors, even if points (RABS) can help the WPM -- hence why they have an Admissions Board whose job is to determine whether the entire person's record and isn't based on what a computer spits out. It isn't like the Admissions Board sits there and says...well SAT/ACTs are 25%, Leadership activities 25%, physical activity 15%, etc.

    Candidates should focus on putting QUALITY into the application package (i.e. giving it their best effort), rather than fretting about statistics and odds.
     
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. usna1985

    usna1985 USNA Alumnus

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    4,498
    Likes Received:
    447
    ^^^

    To buttress the above, I've had candidates with 800/800 (and otherwise qualified) not receive an appointment. Scores are important but are not the be-all and end-all.
     

Share This Page