A Couple of Pre-Academy athletics questions

Discussion in 'Air Force Academy - USAFA' started by QuintaLibre, Aug 29, 2011.

  1. QuintaLibre

    QuintaLibre 5-Year Member

    Aug 29, 2011
    Likes Received:

    So, I've realized recently that I want to go to USAFA, but the problem is that I learned this a few weeks ago, and I'm already starting my junior year with no school sports on my record. Since I never have planned on going to a place like the Academy, I just never did any school-related sports. I'm not out of shape or nonathletic by any means, though.

    I have a couple options at the moment. I was thinking about doing either cross country, because I like running, or doing PT with Marine recruiters. It's not possible for me to do both at the same time due to conflicting times. I'm more leaning to the PT because I have friends doing it. However, I'm not really sure what would look better to the Academy, and I'd appreciate some outside input.

    Also, It's kind of a shot in the dark, but being from Utah and all, in the winter I snowboard 60 plus times a year, and I enter freestyle competitions. Would this be something that I could put on my applications? Or should I just avoid it since it's not an official school sport or anything?

    I already have my spring sports planned out.

    Thanks for your help.
  2. tiger50

    tiger50 5-Year Member

    Aug 18, 2011
    Likes Received:

    I'm glad you've taken an interest in the USAFA. I understand your worries, but there's no reason to! Doing PT with the Marines is great, but you have to remember, that's not an official sport that admissions look into. It would be a pretty good source of a letter of recommendation, but other than personal physical development, it isn't as important as school sports.

    You should get a Varsity letter for a good thumbs up. I would recommend doing Cross Country and then doing Track in the spring if you like to run. If you get JV this year and work really hard next summer, you could get your letter in Cross Country during the fall of your senior year. Sports are there for a reason! Don't be discouraged because you haven't done sports! Show commitment and dedication to sports!

    On the topic of snowboarding, definitely put the competitions on your application! Ask your Liaison officer first though when you are getting your stuff together to see how he wants it.

    I wish the best of luck to you in achieving your endeavors! I will definitely be chasing Cross Country and Track again this year! I will be entering my Junior Year this Thursday! I have a Varsity Letter in Track and Field.
  3. hornetguy

    hornetguy 10-Year Member

    Jun 9, 2006
    Likes Received:
    Keep in mind that something like 90% of cadets were varsity/JV athletes as some point in high school. The other 10% often had something unique which replaced that high school athletic (but was still athletic) and wasn't through the school. I was part of that 10% pool, but I did Taekwondo from 1998-2006 with state and world rankings. And still, I was looked down on in admissions for lack of varsity athletics in HS. I recommend getting school associated sports in your schedule at this point.

Share This Page