Engineer Branch

kittkatt

Member
Anyone happen to recall how selective the Engineer Branch has been the past few years? I realize that "needs of the Army" trump all and branch assignments can be complicated, but if a cadet is in, say, the top 1/2 of the class OML can he/she safely assume that an engineer branch slot is realistic?
 

jl123

Member
Anyone happen to recall how selective the Engineer Branch has been the past few years? I realize that "needs of the Army" trump all and branch assignments can be complicated, but if a cadet is in, say, the top 1/2 of the class OML can he/she safely assume that an engineer branch slot is realistic?
Branch interest varies over time, but today top 1/2 should be safe bet to get Engineer without BRADSO. In the early 1980's EN usually went out in the top 1/3 and MI was easy to get. Now MI is one of the first to go out.

I had some info on the most recent class, but can't seem to find it. For the Class of 2011 here are the Engineer stats:
Rank of first cadet assigned EN without BRADSO: 4
Rank of last cadet assigned EN without BRADSO: 780
Range of rank of cadets assigned EN with BRADSO: 781 -1064 (ranks 701 - 780 did BRADSO but did not incur additional obligation because they would have made it on order of merit)

FYI, BRADSO is the process to improve branch satisfaction whereby a cadet can extend active duty service obligation by 3 years to get their branch of choice. The first 75% of a branch is filled by OML (Order of Merit List). The remaining 25% BRADSO. Some exceptions for specialty branches.
 
Last edited:

kittkatt

Member
Thanks everyone for the info--really helps. One follow-up. Are any engineering platoons doing anything other than route clearance nowadays (though I understand route clearance's importance)? Any plausible opportunities for vertical/horizontal units for 2Ls coming out of EBOLC?
 

Sledge

5-Year Member
I am guessing recent deployment trends help sway branching decisions; does this explain growth in MI?
All the three letter agencies have been bullish on MI experience post 9/11. I think that plays a part in the popularity of the branch, given the decent GS salaries and more stable lives you could have if you choose to 5 and dive.
 

kittkatt

Member
This is very helpful info; thanks.

For engineer officers who "five-and-dive," is there a typical or popular civilian career destination (and I realize that while most are not actual engineers, some might be)? Do they look for civilian construction or project management opportunities, work a construction trade, or something entirely outside of the engineer branch? (I'm assuming route clearance doesn't have much of a civilian counterpart.) Thanks.
 

jl123

Member
This is very helpful info; thanks.

For engineer officers who "five-and-dive," is there a typical or popular civilian career destination (and I realize that while most are not actual engineers, some might be)? Do they look for civilian construction or project management opportunities, work a construction trade, or something entirely outside of the engineer branch? (I'm assuming route clearance doesn't have much of a civilian counterpart.) Thanks.
I don't think there is high correlation of specific jobs with engineer branch or most other branches after 5 years service, although a common path is graduate school - business, law etc. Employers value an army officer's leadership/management experience and work ethic. They know they are getting someone who is intelligent, hard working, and can work well with other people.

While waiting to hear from grad schools, I interviewed with a number of Fortune 500 companies in a variety of industries for positions in sales, marketing, operations, etc. I don't recall any of the jobs being closely related to engineer branch - although I did not target construction and engineering firms. Some jobs valued experience in equipment maintenance, but that experience comes with infantry, armor, and several other branches as well as engineers.
 

sapperboston

New Member
There are a lot more opportunities for civilian credentialing in the Engineer Branch than in years past. Assignments in the Corp of Engineers gives you great experience in the civilian sector.
 
Top