Enlisting after Resignation

Discussion in 'Military Academy - USMA' started by ForCountry, Oct 19, 2012.

  1. ForCountry

    ForCountry New Member

    Oct 19, 2012
    Likes Received:
    I resigned from the military academy late last year and received a General Discharge under Honorable Conditions.

    Now I'm at civilian school, but I feel no purpose in life such as that I had at the Academy. So I really wish to enlist into the active army, but I am not sure how a general discharge will affect my eligibility since the internet is filled with people saying that general discharges automatically disqualify you, etc.

    Is there anyone knowledgeable about this? Or maybe a former cadet who reenlisted under these conditions?

    Thank you in advance!
  2. Sawndog

    Sawndog 5-Year Member

    Oct 11, 2011
    Likes Received:
    A General Discharge is typically frowned upon because even some people who get kicked out because of positive drug test manage to get a General Discharge. You can try enlisting in any of the branches. It does not only have to be Army. Some may accept you, some may decline you.

    Go find a local recruiter and talk to them about it. That is probably your best bet.
  3. time2

    time2 10-Year Member

    Jul 17, 2007
    Likes Received:
    You will find the internet is filled with random/wild opinions about most things to do with service academies. For some reason, people fling out all sorts of nonsense even when they have no idea what they are talking about. For your question, it is best to ask at a military recruiting office since they can provide factual answers to that specific question.
  4. scoutpilot

    scoutpilot 5-Year Member

    Apr 29, 2010
    Likes Received:
    That begs the question: why did you receive a general discharge?
  5. MemberLG

    MemberLG 5-Year Member

    Jan 4, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Check your reenlistment code on your DD214.


    "These [Reenlistment] codes are contained on military discharge documents and determine whether or not one may reenlist or enlist in a military service at a later time. In general, those who receive an Army RE Code of 1 may reenlist in the Army or another service with no problem. Individuals with an Army RE Code of "2" may usually reenlist in the Army or another service with various restrictions, or if the circumstances which resulted in the code no longer apply. Individuals with an RE Code of "3" can normally reenlist in the Army or another Service, but will probably require a waiver to be processed. Individuals with an Army RE Code of "4" are normally not eligible to reenlist in the Army, nor join another service."

    If your DD214 doesn't have the reenlistment code. There are two DD214s, short and long form. The long form has the reenlistment code.

Share This Page